Note: Salary offer will not exceed the midpoint ($80,368.91) of the salary range.
- Performs highly technical analyses of county financial operations;
- Participates in development and implementation of county-wide policies and procedures pertaining to accounting and financial reporting;
- Researches accounting issues and new accounting pronouncements and recommends solutions and means of implementation;
- Prepares financial statements and reports required by federal and state, including the county's annual comprehensive financial report (ACFR);
- Serves as a consultant to departments on accounting and financial reporting matters;
- Provides assistance to outside auditors by preparing work papers and financial reports as required;
- Files all required Federal Information Returns and prepares related Annual Withholding Reconciliations for IRS reporting, and manages the related financial system accounting processes.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP);
- Knowledge of automated accounting systems;
- Ability to prepare and interpret financial reports and statements;
- Ability to develop and apply accounting procedures;
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of subordinates;
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for “Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to”)
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor's degree in accounting; or a bachelor's degree in business administration or related field that has been supplemented by at least 18 credit hours of intermediate level accounting or higher; plus two years of professional accounting experience, including one year of experience working with automated accounting systems. CPA certification, or a master's degree in an appropriate field, may be substituted for one year of required experience.
Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks. Excellent communication skills with the ability to address a wide audience. Superior knowledge of automated financial systems and skilled use of databases and applications. Experience applying GAAP, analyzing and interpreting fiscal and accounting data, and preparing audited annual financial reports for a large organization. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Innovative individual motivated by continual change. Excellent skills with MS Office Suite applications (MS Word, Excel, and Access). CPA or other professional certification.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check and a credit history check to the satisfaction of the employer. Applicants and employees within these select positions must demonstrate financial responsibility in personal finances as a condition of employment.
All newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (two weeks after the last required dose) as a condition of employment or obtain approval of a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. Proof of an exemption or vaccination status will be required during the pre-employment onboarding process. New employees who obtain an exemption from the vaccine mandate for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs may be subject to a weekly testing requirement. Vaccinated employees and employees with a medical or religious exemption will complete the attestation online on their first day of employment or shortly thereafter.
Job is generally sedentary in nature. Ability to operate keyboard driven equipment and to input, access, and retrieve information from a computer. Ability to lift up to 15 pounds. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel Interview and may include a practical exercise.
Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact ***** for assistance. TTY *****. EEO/AA/TTY.