Adjunct Faculty, Fire Science/EMT Programs
The Community College of Rhode Island is New England’s largest community college, and a nationally-recognized leader in catalyzing student success and achievement for recent high school graduates and returning adults alike.
We provide affordable, open access to higher education, and we deliver on our mission to offer all students the opportunity to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary for intellectual, professional and personal growth.
Diversity is our strength. We champion equity, and we celebrate, support and thrive on the diverse experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives that are represented across our four campuses.
We strive to hire and retain culturally competent faculty and staff whose demographics are reflective of our diverse student body. To learn more about our employees’ values and what it means to work here, learn about our Guiding Principles here .
Posting Details > Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply for this position:
· Complete CCRI’s online application, and attach a cover letter and resume by the closing date.
· If attaching a resume complete with education history and/or employment history, please
disregard these sections within the online application.
· Please include the contact information for three (3) references within the application.
· Finalists will be required to provide official college transcripts.
· Please note that all RI Council of Postsecondary Education employees (i.e., full- and part-time
faculty and non-classified employees) must be fully vaccinated and boosted when eligible. Learn
more about CCRI’s vaccination policy here .
Please contact Human Resources at ***** ( TTY : *****) if you require assistance with the online application process.
CCRI is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
CCRI prohibits discrimination, including harassment and retaliation, on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, gender, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, or status as a protected veteran. Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination shall be referred to CCRI’s Title IX Coordinator at *****
The Clery Act requires colleges and universities to report campus crime data, support victims of violence, and publicly outline the policies and procedures they have put into place to improve campus safety.
The Fire Science Department at the Community College of Rhode Island is currently seeking adjunct faculty to add to our roster of contract faculty for assignments for our EMT courses on an as-needed basis.
Adjunct faculty in the Fire Science Program educate, train, and professionally develop students in Fire Science and EMT courses. Adjuncts are responsible for activities directly related to scheduled instruction. This can include lecture, labs, clinical, performance assignments as well as student assessment and testing sessions.
The individual will demonstrate competence in the field of Fire Science and field, Emergency Medical Services. The individual shall hold a current Instructor Coordinator License and current EMT license at EMT level or higher in Rhode Island.
Duties and Responsibilities
Fire Science Adjunct Faculty members provide instruction for Fire Science courses and participate in program planning, implementation, and evaluation. The position requires:
- Use or creation of lesson plans and evaluation tools based on curriculum learning objectives.
- Establishment of effective learning environments for adult learners, including innovative instructional strategies that support student success.
- Delivery of both didactic and laboratory instruction.
- Planning and coordination of training and educational activities, and 5) interpretation of and response to the needs of the Fire Science and EMS community.
- Participate in the fire science advisory committee.
- Assess students to ensure academic progress and beginning level skill knowledge acquisition.
- Assist program director in acquiring sites for student field experience.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the philosophy and mission of the college and the Fire Science Department.
- Work collaboratively in a diverse, inclusive, and student-centered environment with students of various learning styles, cultures, identities, and life experiences.
- Facilitate engagement and academic success by incorporating student advising, counseling, and remediation.
- Contribute to a dynamic teaching/learning environment requiring adaptability, creativity, and teamwork.
- Use technology to enhance instruction and communicate effectively with the campus community.
· Bachelor’s degree required
· Current EMS – Instructor/Coordinator license required.
· Current EMS or healthcare licensure is required at or above the EMT level of instruction.
· 1-2 years teaching experience required.
· Strong communication, organization, interpersonal and counseling skills.
· Willingness to travel and teach among four campus sites and teach evenings/weekends as required by department needs.
· Knowledge and experience in field of Fire Science and related fields required.
· Current skill and knowledge in the use of information technology
· Master’s Degree preferred.
· Knowledge of current EMS curricular content and education standards.
· Ability to adapt EMS curricula to reflect State requirements, local needs, and national trends.
· Knowledge of the delivery of emergency medical services.
· Knowledge of adult learning theory and methodologies.
· Demonstrated teaching and educational facilitation skills.
· Knowledge of competency-based education principles and methods.
· Ability to assess student performance and progress as well as provide appropriate feedback.
· Ability to maintain complete and accurate educational records.
· Knowledge of EMS educational program licensing processes and standards.
· Online teaching experience preferred.
Program Director and Nursing Department Chair Level 1
Shift, Days, and Additional Work Schedule Information
Warwick, Lincoln and/or off-site. Variable schedule based on time/location of course sections.
Salary commensurate with education and experience
Additional Salary Information
Licenses, Tools and Equipment
Desired Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary or grant)
Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies
Application Open Date
Application Close Date (includes the grace period)
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Review of applications will begin immediately, and will continue until all positions are filled.
To apply for this position, complete CCRI’s online application, and attach a cover letter and resume. Please include information of three references within the application.
If you need assistance with the online application process, please contact Human Resources at *****. TTY : *****.
CCRI is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
We recognize that diversity and inclusivity are essential to creating a dynamic, positive and high-performing educational and work environment. We welcome applicants who can contribute to the College’s commitment to excellence created by diversity and inclusivity.
CCRI prohibits discrimination, including harassment and retaliation, on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, gender, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status or status as a protected veteran. Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination shall be referred to the College’s Title IX Coordinator at: *****
The Jeanne Clery Act requires institutions of higher education to disclose campus policy statements and crime statistics. Our annual report is available here:
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Bachelor's degree?
- * Are you Current EMS – Instructor/Coordinator licensed?
- * Do you have 1-2 years teaching experience?
- * In order to improve CCRI's advertising strategy, please let
us know where you FIRST learned of this job opportunity. Please be
specific when using website or publication names (example:
LinkedIN, HigherEdjobs, Chronicle, personal referral, etc.).
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application