The primary purpose of this role is to develop and prepare technical solutions and quotation proposals for new equipment to meet or exceed customer requirements. Provide technical and commercial support to promote the business including strategic initiatives. Interface with engineering, operational groups and customers in the development/clarification of proposal information. Assist in creating promotional material.
The focus of this position will be to support Elliott manufactured API 614 buffer gas and lube oil systems with cross training in API 617 centrifugal compressors and API 612 Steam turbines.
The incumbent will be in contact with all major disciplines of the company.
- Field Sales and Service - Quotation activities, market and competitive information, sales related activities
- Engineering - Technical support, problem solving, equipment selection and application
- Repair facilities and manufacturing - Repair techniques, cost evaluation
- Project Management - Cost estimating and evaluation, contract development, delivery schedules
- Legal - Contract review, terms and condition of sales
- Management - Business opportunity evaluation, margin analysis, risk analysis
- Respond to customer inquiries for new equipment. This involves the following key steps:
- Review inquiry to understand goals of projects.
- Work with sales to develop strategy by understanding market trends, customer needs, budget, & competition.
- Design machines and auxiliaries including performance and mechanical design analysis for entire scope of equipment.
- Define scope of supply.
- Conduct cost analysis including hardware, labor, engineering, drafting, vendor supplied components and all other costs related to the project.
- Prepare specifications for major purchased auxiliaries and act as technical resource for subsequent vendor inquiries.
- Create proposal including data sheets, scope, performance curves, pricing, delivery, comments/ exceptions to specifications and all other pertinent data.
- Submit proposal to sales and aid sales in presenting proposal to customer if necessary.
- Technical/commercial support during quote phase:
- Answer technical/commercial questions from sales and customers concerning proposal.
- Modify proposal as required from sales or customer concerning proposal.
- Work with sales/management to adjust scope/delivery/price as needed to be competitive.
- Participate in pre-contract meetings with sales/customer if required.
- Transfer data to project management after order received:
- Prepare design specifications.
- Attend kick-off and transfer meetings.
- Assemble all pertinent information including inquiry specs, scope, costs, schedule, etc. to define project for project manager.
- Enter order into Elliott system by completing Shop Order Assignment Sheet and 331 Form.
- Act as technical/commercial resource for project manager throughout project.
- Develop/improve procedures for:
- Automating standard, repeatable procedures and calculations.
- Cooperation with other related groups (i.e.: new equipment and rerate group).
- Keeping current with technology through magazines, trade shows, articles, on and off-site training, etc.
- Studying customers and competition to identify market trends, new application of technology, innovations, etc.
- Implement business/marketing plans and strategic initiatives:
- Utilize technical and commercial skills and contacts to conduct market analyses.
- Write reports to assist sales and marketing in selling new technology and developing new markets.
Travel is required to support sales in presenting proposals to customers and answering technical questions, participating in pre-contract meetings. Travel may also be required to attend trade shows to present papers, participate in discussion groups or work in the Elliott booth. Occasional travel required for training purposes. Average 8-12 trips per year, 2-3 days each.
- BS Mechanical Engineering degree; other degrees with relevant experience will be considered.
- Understanding of thermodynamic and aerodynamic concepts as related to the performance of turbo machinery including heat transfer, gas properties, efficiency, head, work, etc.
- Application and design knowledge of both steam turbines and centrifugal compressors as well as their related auxiliaries (i.e. motors, gears, lube systems, etc.) preferred.
- Ability to understand and balance the inter-relationship between price, performance, delivery, and reliability when selecting/designing a unit.
- Good verbal and non-verbal communication skills for preparing proposals, conducting meetings, answering sales/customer questions and writing technical papers/articles/procedures.
- Ability to understand and balance internal cost structure, market value, and margin goals when pricing a project.
- Design/analytical skills in the application/design of bearings, seals, materials, thermal and dynamic stress and strain, rotor dynamics, etc.
- Strong attention to detail in preparation of all documentation.
- Computer skills including Sun and IBM networks, application programs, Word, Excel, Lotus Notes, etc.
Elliott is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the federal, state or local laws of the United States. Elliott is a drug free workplace.
No agency submissions please. NOTE: Resumes submitted to any Elliott Group employee without a current, signed and valid contract in place with the Elliott Group recruiting team will become the property of Elliott Group and no search fees will be paid.