Assistant Director, Alumni and Donor Relations (7546U), School of Public Health - 45218 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
At UC Berkeley, we believe that learning is a fundamental part of working, and our goal is for everyone on the Berkeley campus to feel supported and equipped to realize their full potential. We actively support this by providing all of our staff employees with at least 80 hours (10 days) of paid time per year to engage in professional development activities. To find out more about how you can grow your career at UC Berkeley, visit grow.berkeley.edu.
Berkeley Public Health (BPH) aims to improve population health, especially for the most vulnerable, through interdisciplinary collaborations, preeminent education, and transformational research. Established in 1943, BPH is a professional school on the UC Berkeley campus that comprises six academic divisions and nearly 30 research centers and programs. Our department's values include social justice, health as a right, challenging conventional thought, embracing diversity, and creating meaningful impact. We honor our principles of community by centering and valuing everyone in our community; prioritizing prevention while remaining grounded in social justice; promoting safety and respect; practicing self-care and kindness; and remaining optimistic, hopeful, and committed to change. Learn more at: publichealth.berkeley.edu.
Reporting to the Assistant Dean for Development and External Relations, the Assistant Director, Alumni & Donor Relations administers a variety of high-level tasks and projects related to annual giving, stewardship, alumni relations, development operations and events. The Assistant supports and collaborates with colleagues who are moving prospects through all phases of the donor cycle. This role requires active listening, rapid acquisition of knowledge about Berkeley Public Health's fundraising programs, priorities, and alumni, and the ability to work independently and prioritize among competing demands. This position will be best suited for an individual who has several years of development support experience, and who is looking to develop a career in higher education advancement.
Implements specific plans for fundraising and alumni relations programs and activities; or may plan, administer, and implement an established fundraising project or program of limited scope and complexity. Provides basic analysis of program trends and results; assists in developing communications materials; and coordinates work of student support staff. Position is expected to raise gift dollar amounts as established at each specialization.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: November 18, 2022
- Implements established components for fundraising operations, stewardship, annual giving and alumni relations programs and activities; plans, administers, and implements a well-defined or established fundraising program requiring the exercise of limited discretion and judgment.
- Alumni Engagement: Supports the Public Health Alumni Association Board activities and works with the Director of Annual Giving and Alumni Engagement to build out a growing alumni engagement program.
- Fundraising: Assists with special efforts to renew donor support using various methodologies, including direct solicitation of lapsed annual donors.
- Stewardship: Manage and review the gift acknowledgments to donors and make suggested corrections to the templates based on the donor, their giving, and the donor's relationship to campus; makes stewardship calls to annual fund donors
- Communications: Prepares materials for specific fundraising activities, events and solicitations including writing and, ideally, designing.
- Development Operations: Supports select Berkeley Public Health development operations efforts e.g. issues related to pledge fulfillment, gift misallocations/adjustments, complex donor and gift question trafficking, claiming wires, general data requests, etc.
- Events: Assists in the organizing and implementation of special events (stewardship, fundraising and/or alumni engagement) for donors and alumni.
- Participates in workshops, training, and other professional development opportunities.
- Other duties, as assigned
- Professional knowledge of fundraising, donor relations and fundraising communications concepts and best practices.
- Outstanding organizational and project management skills; exceptional attention to detail and follow-through.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the political acumen required to build and maintain effective working relationships at all organizational levels and with outside constituents.
- Good organizational, analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Working knowledge of applicable laws, rules, regulations, policies, etc.
- Good written and interpersonal communication skills to establish and maintain good working relationships throughout the organization and with outside constituencies.
- Skills in maintaining confidentiality.
- Basic knowledge of the customer relations management (CRM) system such as Salesforce.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Basic graphic design skills
Salary & Benefits
- This is a full-time (40 hours/week), career position and eligible for full UC benefits.
- This is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. The hourly rate is commensurate with experience within the range of $37.00 - $42.00.
- This is a remote-friendly position, eligible for 50% remote capability.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment in the Resume section of your application.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=45218&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency