Reporting to the Senior Associate Director, VCU’s Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships is looking for a knowledgeable and dedicated candidate for the Assistant Director of Quality Assurance and Compliance position. This position supervises a team of staff to support VCU’s strategic goals of enrollment, retention, and student success. In addition, this position serves as the compliance administrator for the office, maintains a comprehensive quality assurance program, and coordinates special projects as needed.
The ideal candidate for this position has a passion for higher education, experience working in a financial aid environment, and is detail-oriented. A candidate will be successful in this role with knowledge of applicable financial aid policies and regulations and how to apply them. This role may also be ideal for a candidate who is looking to grow in the financial aid field as a manager and may have not previously supervised full time staff.
• Financial Aid Compliance Administrator (40%): Serve as the Financial Aid compliance administrator for the Office responsible for managing compliance activities including the development, documentation, updating, and validation of all procedures and policies.
- Coordinates, collects, and completes various reports which includes, but is not limited to, the SCHEV FA reports, Auditor of Public Accounts (APA) Virginia Single Audits, Foreign Gifts and Contracts reporting, and HRSA reporting. Partners with department leadership on the annual submission of FISAP, SCHEV S1/S2, and SCHEV S5 reports.
- Reviews and responds to student complaints submitted to the Department of Education.
- Reviews and responds to court subpoenas of information and notified by University Counsel, includes representing the office when necessary at the Virginia Circuit Court.
- Coordinates Veterans, Athletics (NCAA), Federal Title IV, and Virginia State Financial Aid compliance efforts for the office, including use and development of internal controls, policies, and procedures.
- Evaluates, tests, adjusts, and shares the cost of attendance on an annual basis for the Monroe Park Campus and MCV Campus.
- Reviews department forms, including Google forms, for accuracy and compliance before being submitted for publication on the website.
- Determines when an update is needed to the Program Participation Agreement (PPA).
- Works closely with Financial Aid systems staff to ensure that new regulations are properly incorporated into the financial aid operating systems.
- Serves as department coordinator with VCU Technology Services for records management and completion of the RM-3.
- Ensures that the annual COA spreadsheet is accurate and programmed accordingly within Banner.
- Continuously institutes measures to detect, prevent, and resolve issues that fail to meet federal and state financial aid regulations. Develops action plans for the correction of any policy or procedure violations or deficiencies identified and provides regular feedback to department leadership.
- Responsible for coordinating internal audits as well as the office’s ARMICS process and controls, which includes the creation, updating, maintenance, and testing to ensure State compliance with the Virginia Department of Accounts.
- Researches and benchmarks industry best practices that can be used for process improvement and enhanced oversight of financial aid programs.
- Develops and provides timely training on new and changing financial aid policies and procedures.
- Develops and prepares training sessions for department staff within the scope of capabilities, experience, and knowledge based on findings of quality control and audit review analysis.
- Serves as operational backup for direct reports who are responsible for R2T4 calculations, VMSDEP certifications, and athletic aid.
- In the absence of the Senior Associate Director, serves as the Secondary Destination Point Administrator.
- Chairs the SAP Committee and manages the SAP procedures.
- Represents the department on institutional workgroups and committees, as assigned, including the Academic Calendar Committee and Student-Athlete Appeal Panel.
- Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
• Experience within major areas of higher education financial aid business process and operations.
• Experience working in a financial aid environment, preferably in compliance activities.
• Ability to motivate staff and help manage a complex, high volume operation with a high degree of accuracy.
• Ability to work cooperatively with a wide range of diverse constituents and colleagues.
• Ability to communicate effectively, in writing and verbally, with constituents of the University.
• Comfortable speaking and presenting before groups.
• Strong organizational and time management skills.
• Ability to understand the relationship of the Internal Revenue Service and Free Application for Federal Student Aid data elements when assessing/updating the financial aid record of a student.
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU.
• Master’s degree from an accredited institution.
• More than three years of successful professional experience in financial aid performing quality assurance and compliance functions, interpreting federal and state financial aid rules and regulations, experience managing and administering financial aid programs.
• At least one year of supervisory or leadership experience.
• Financial aid compliance and training experience.
Other Position Details: This position will have a hybrid working schedule permitting two remote days per week after successful onboarding.
Position Number: 588090
Position Title: Assistant Director of Compliance
Department: 1919 Financial Aid
Role Code: 35331 Assistant Director SS 1
Position Type: Exempt
Salary: $55,000 - $65,000 (maximum salary)
ORP Eligible?: Yes
Open Date: 6/13/2022
Close Date: 7/10/2022