This position is with a national specialty physician group based in the Phoenix area. The Coding Manager manages all coding staff, education, and auditing of staff performance and productivity. The manager will represent the department at meetings and provide physician education in interpretation, coding compliance, and documentation improvement.
This role will report to an RCM Director and have 4 direct reports
- Manages department’s work queues and productivity reports to ensure timely submission of charges.
- Develops and implements standardized physician-based coding guidelines and documentation requirements.
- Provides education and guidance on professional coding policies, guidelines, and procedures to maximize revenue opportunities while minimizing compliance risk.
- Reconciles changes and analyzes productivity and reimbursement reports to identify trends and improve revenue opportunities.
- Manages, identifies, researches, resolves, and reports any issues involving daily workflow and quality of work.
- Works with revenue cycle management to ensure compliance guidelines are established consistently throughout the practice.
- Keeps abreast of new technology in coding and abstracting software and other forms of automation and stays informed about transaction code sets, HIPAA requirements and other potential issues impacting coding functions.
- Provides leadership, trainings, and reviews coding to evaluate performance of Coding Specialists.
- Maintains both internal and external customer and client relationships as required and manages expectations related to the performance of deliverables and non-standard issue resolution.
- Maintains compliance with Federal and State regulations.
- Manages budget for the department.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or needed for business continuity.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance or Health Administration field preferred.
- CPC in good standing with AAPC or RHIA required.
- Expert knowledge of coding, billing, and third-party reimbursement.
- Strong knowledge of medical billing practices.
- Working knowledge of anatomy and procedural terminology.
- Knowledge of HIPAA and confidentiality regulations.
- Strong prioritization, analytical, and critical thinking skills.
- Strong organizational and leadership skills, responsible for the work outcomes and results of staff.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products.
- Knowledge of Athena medical billing preferred.
- Ability to manage multiple projects.
- Ability to interact with internal and external customers in a professional manner.
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.