Conference-Event Planner II
Job No: 524593
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL), Alachua
Department: 57140100 - LT-CTR-LT AMER STUDIES-ADMIN
Conference-Event Planner II
This position plans Center events held on campus; coordinates faculty travel and activities related to international education programs; assists with conference travel competitions; assists faculty and students with travel activities; submits fiscal paperwork related to events and travel. Strong preference will be given to candidates with fluency in Spanish and/or Portuguese and relevant work experience in an academic setting.
Event Planning and Logistics
- Coordinate a variety of outreach initiatives such as annual conferences, symposia, receptions, and other events working closely with LAS faculty, staff, and other units on and off-campus
- Correspond with guest speakers and event participants, sometimes in their native language. (Many of our guest speakers come from different regions and communities from Latin America and/or the Caribbean. Some of them may have little or no proficiency in English)
- Coordinate travel logistics for guest speakers
- Manage event budgets and keep track of expenses
- Coordinate with LAS Communications Specialist in updating event information on Center's website and calendar and in preparing and disseminating advertisements to appropriate campus and community media outlets
- Secure date and location of event
- Oversee event registration process
- Make catering arrangements
- Attend and provide onsite support for main LAS events
- Assist in the coordination of travel competitions such as the faculty and student conference travel, as well as provide back up for Field Research Grants and Library Travel competitions
- Provide travel logistics support to students and library travel awardees when needed
- Provide travel logistics support to faculty when requested
- Assist faculty with P-card purchases
- Handle IRIS approvals for Title VI grant travel when needed
- Complete and submit travel paperwork to Fiscal for all travel this position coordinates including submitting internal paperwork, collecting receipts, and following up with travelers if needed.
- Submit Fiscal paperwork and back up for expenditures related to events/conferences and PCard purchases for faculty.
Back Up Coverage
- Provide Backup coverage for the Front Office and Front Desk, including but not limited to telephone, email, Director events, and in person visitors.
- Collect and track event data for events handled by this position
- Gather information and fiscal paperwork on events LAS co-sponsors with other units
- Help with evaluation tools designed to assess event programming impact
Other duties as assigned
Normal Work Schedule
- Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Occasional weekend or evening hours associated with coordination of seminars, conferences, and other events.
$19.01- $21.55 per hour
The University of Florida offers low-cost State Health plans, a number of Dental plans to fit you and your family's needs, and Vision. Domestic partner coverage through GatorCare is also available. Optional plans such as life, disability, legal and accident insurance are also available.
Build your retirement roadmap with competitive pension plans, investment accounts and a host of voluntary add-ons, such as 457 deferred compensation and 403(b) plans.
UF provides a variety of leave programs including vacation, sick leave, 10 paid holidays, personal leave days, and family medical leave. TEAMS employees accrue approximately 22 vacation days annually, 13 sick days annually, and 4 personal leave days, typically used during the holiday closing period (accruals based on full-time employment). UF also provides you the flexibility to deal with life's challenges by offering paid family leave, eight full weeks of leave over a 24-month period.
UF Employees are also eligible for the GatorPerks discount program, which provides big savings at various business and retailers!
Explore UF's plethora of benefit options here: TEAMS Benefits
Bachelor's degree and two years of relevant experience; or a high school diploma and six years of relevant experience. Appropriate college coursework may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Preferred qualifications include previous event planning and administrative experience, preferably in higher education; excellent writing and editing skills; strong attention to detail; good organizational and budget management skills; command of Spanish and/or Portuguese; computer literacy in Windows, Microsoft Office, and e-mail; and the ability to work and collaborate with a diverse range of people, including students, faculty, alumni, administrators, support staff, visiting scholars and dignitaries, and community members.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To be considered for the Conference-Event Planner II position, a complete application must include: (1) a cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) the names and contact information of at least three non-personal references who can address the applicants fit for the position.
All candidates for employment are subject to a pre-employment screening which includes a review of criminal records, reference checks, and verification of education.
The University of Florida is An Equal Employment Opportunity Institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff. If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call ***** or the Florida Relay System at ***** (TDD).
Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the US.
This position is eligible for veteran's preference. If you are claiming veteran's preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
Health Assessment Required:
Special Instructions to Applicants
Health Assessment Required: $Health
Applications Close: $Closes
To apply, visit https://explore.jobs.ufl.edu/en-us/job/524593/conferenceevent-planner-ii
The University is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-17b0cf39fbd78149ac90112d8e2af029