Dean's Office Assistant (4722C), College of Chemistry - 45239 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
At UC Berkeley, we believe that learning is a fundamental part of working, and our goal is for everyone on the Berkeley campus to feel supported and equipped to realize their full potential. We actively support this by providing all of our staff employees with at least 80 hours (10 days) of paid time per year to engage in professional development activities. To find out more about how you can grow your career at UC Berkeley, visit grow.berkeley.edu.
The College of Chemistry is comprised of the Department of Chemistry and the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. The College is a complex academic unit at the University of California, Berkeley and is internationally recognized for its comprehensive excellence. Its undergraduate and graduate programs in chemistry and chemical and biomolecular engineering are consistently ranked among the top three in the country. The College is actively engaged in a large portfolio of sponsored research, teaching, and public service. A major goal of the College is to grow the future generation of cutting-edge research scientists and engineers who are instrumental in developing new chemical, material, and biochemical technologies that have applicable uses in improving society.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: November 18, 2022
Office Reception and Management
- Triages incoming calls and assists walk-in visitors, including providing assistance for classroom/conference room A/V equipment. Distribute mail as needed. General administrative support for dean's office units, which may include providing support to assistant/associate deans and to department units as needed. Applies standard office software programs, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Responsible for maintaining office supplies; maintaining copy machine, including troubleshooting. Maintains The Faculty Club/Women's Faculty Club, and Ready Refresh accounts. Maintains cleanliness of the dean's office and conference rooms. Develops filing systems, internal mailing processes, and procedures. May handle sensitive and confidential information.
- Provides administrative support and logistical arrangements for conferences, large meetings, and annual College events, including commencement, endowed lectureships, and morale-building events. May be required to staff events outside of normal business hours. Coordinates payment and reimbursement to individuals and vendors utilizing campus systems, including vendoring, purchasing, and accounts payable.
- Manages multiple room calendars for the College, which may require negotiating time and place and relocating events as needed, communicating with all parties involved. Manages parking calendar and reservations for the College, including annual renewal of parking permits and relaying parking reservation information near designated parking spaces.
- Provides administrative support for staff recruitment in the dean's office. Provides support for faculty award nominations, including gathering and assembling information to submit to outside agencies. Supports administration of College fellowships as needed. Performs and/or coordinates special projects independently, and/or as a member of a team. Other duties as assigned by the Dean, Academic Personnel Analyst, Assistant Deans, Associate Deans, and/or members of the College leadership team.
- Prepares purchase orders using the campus purchasing system, which may include researching and recommending vendors/prices/equipment and may identify substitutes. May be responsible for the dean's office purchasing/entertainment credit card. Processes travel and entertainment reimbursements.
- Excellent analytical/problem-solving skills. Exceptional attention to detail. Excellent oral and written communication skills to communicate effectively with all levels of staff, faculty, administrators, alumni/donors, students, and external constituents. Strong service orientation. Ability to effectively work both independently and in collaboration with others at varying levels of the organization. Political acumen and sensitivities to the differing perspectives and political circumstances within all levels of the campus and external constituencies. Ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes. Ability to adjust to changing priorities. Ability to use a high level of discretion and maintain a high level of confidentiality. Proficiency in Word and Excel.
- High School diploma or equivalent experience/training.
- Working knowledge in administrative procedures and processes including word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications. Excellent active listening, critical thinking, multitasking, and time management skills. Prior knowledge and experience with and/or ability to learn UC processes, procedures, and systems.
Salary & Benefits
- This is a full-time (40 hours per week), career position that is eligible for full UC benefits. This position is non-exempt and paid bi-weekly. The hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience within the range of $25.65 (step 1.0) - $30.07 (step 8.0). For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment in the Resume section of your application.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Clerical & Allied Services Unit (CX) between the University of California and Teamsters Local 2010. The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/cx/index.html
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/*****/NondiscrimAffirmAct
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=45239&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency