Development Administrative Assistant (San Francisco, CA)
Catholic Charities is one of the largest, oldest, and most comprehensive nonprofit human services organizations in Northern California, annually reaching more than 60,000 vulnerable individuals of all faiths in San Francisco, San Mateo, and Marin Counties. With a staff of approximately 450, reaching peaks of nearly 600 with seasonal hires, a budget of $54.3 million, and a current governing board of 27, this venerable, fully-accredited, independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit addresses some of the most pressing community needs – homelessness, generational poverty, immigration, inequality, hunger, aging in isolation, and communicable disease -- to name a few – with compassion and services of highest quality.
PROGRAM & POSITION SUMMARY
We tackle some of the most pressing challenges in our community – homelessness generational poverty, inequality, aging in isolation, HIV-AIDS, and immigration to name a few – with determination, expertise, and collaborative problem-solving with those we serve. As an integral part of our communities, we work to keep our neighborhoods diverse, productive, safe, and healthy through our more than 30 programs, comprehensive services, and social justice advocacy. We bolster our neighbors-single mothers, adults, and families experiencing homelessness, adults with disabilities, seniors, children and youth, people living with HIV/AIDS, and immigrants – when they need help, solutions, and hope. We are compassionate caregivers, ardent advocates, and champions of those in need. If you are eager to have a substantive impact on the lives of others and the health of our community, apply here. Join us as we change lives.
Catholic Charities Development Department is responsible for revenue and fundraising for the organization. Our Administrative Assistant will work with the Development team on a wide range of responsibilities to support all aspects of fundraising, office organizations, communications and finance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT: Provides direct administrative support to the Chief Philanthropy Officer. Helps maintain an efficient and organized office environment, arranges meetings, answers phones, assists with mailings and filing, credit card reconciliations and performs general clerical duties as needed. Assists with administrative needs of the department. Occasionally provides backup support for the Executive Assistant to the CEO when on vacation or away from the office.
• MAJOR GIFTS/Corporate, Individual and Foundations: Assists the Chief Philanthropy Officer and development leadership staff in tracking, cultivating and stewarding major and planned gift donors: Sets up donor cultivation and solicitation appointments; Composes original letters, routine proposals, and follow-up correspondence for major donors; Performs donor/prospect research; Maintains major donor files in Raiser’s Edge and hard copy as directed; Assists with preparation for Board and Development Committee meetings as well as bi-monthly Advancement meetings; Provides special event support as needed.
• Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Education & Experience:
• B.A. degree required , two years of professional experience in development, communications, or marketing, preferably in a non-profit organization or equivalent internship experience or demonstrated experience preferred.
• Expertise in the use of English grammar, punctuation, and syntax; use of best practices in proposal development; ability to conduct research; ability to "ghost write" for others; knowledge of when and how to use various channels of communication.
• Prior clerical/administrative experience preferred.
• Prior donor/customer relations experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Highly organized, with the ability to manage multiple projects, priorities and deadlines.
• Ability to produce high-quality work reflecting attention to detail and accuracy.
• Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills. Ability to easily change writing styles to fit the person you are writing for, the audience, and/or the voice of the piece.
• Ability to quickly and effectively gather information by means of interviews, database research, online searches, etc.
• Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills, including a polished phone presence, with a welcoming and friendly demeanor and the ability to speak persuasively and succinctly, effectively translate and convey information, and handle requests positively and quickly.
• Ability to interact well with Board members, major donors, volunteers, internal and external constituents
• Solid team player who is able to work both collaboratively and independently on projects and when under pressure.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Experience in Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge preferred.
• Commitment to the highest standards of constituent relations and professionalism. Demonstrates the necessary attitudes, knowledge and skills to deliver culturally competent services and work effectively in cross-cultural situations.
COUNCIL ON ACCREDITATION (COA)
Is responsible for accurate and timely data collection that aids Performance and Quality Improvement (PQI) reporting, as directed by CPO.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Frequent bending, standing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, twisting, and walking.
· Intermittent lifting, pushing, and pulling.
· Frequent repetitive motions: Making substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
· Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
· The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; and extensive reading.
· If driving a car is required for the position, the incumbent must have a valid California driver's license and be to provide proof of DMV record and personal insurance (if required).
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· The worker is occasionally exposed to perfume or scents and personal care products used by employees, clients, and visitors.
· Noise level in work is usually moderate in accordance with a typical office environment.
· The worker is subject to inside environmental conditions: Protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
CATHOLIC CHARITIES IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER and is committed to providing equal employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, legal domicile status, veteran status, disability, or AIDS/HIV status or any other characteristic protected under federal or state law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Department or Program: Development (AKA Advancement)
Union status: Non-union
Fingerprinting clearance: Required
TB Screening: Required
First Aid Certificate: No First Aid required
COVID-19 Proof of Vaccination: Required