Director of Strategy
This position is with an extremely fast growing and acquisitive, private equity backed, transportation services group with companies all over the northeast and midwest.
Location: Anywhere in the greater Boston area. Some travel required.
Director of Strategy Responsibilities
The Director of Strategy is involved in all aspects of strategy development, commercial development (including mergers & acquisitions), customer engagement and technology initiatives.
Execute and Develop Strategic and Operational Initiatives
- Directs and oversees the organization’s strategic and long-term planning function.
- Drives strategic initiatives and supports the development of long-term growth plans and profitability goals.
- Analyzes and recommends emerging industry trends including:
- Competitive threats
- Mergers and acquisition targets
- Entry to new markets
- Viability of outside business partners including strategic alliances and partnerships
- Business process improvement
- Technology and innovation
- Evaluates federal and state legislation for current and future business impact
- Directs the organization’s customer survey process and interpretation of results
- Driving outcomes cross-functionally to build consensus and execute to meet deadlines and targeted results
- Create, prioritize, and execute key initiatives with senior team and board input; quantify and track results, communicating updates to senior team and board as appropriate
- Support management in idea generation and vetting. Investigate opportunities to drive efficiency and productivity across the company
- Maintain and prioritize pipeline of ideas to enable the business to grow into a national, scale company through organic growth and acquisition
- Work with functional leaders to assess and prioritize ideas and ensure clear timing and ownership is established for all projects pursued
- Help management team continue refining and developing long term strategic plan and vision with respect to internal company improvement opportunities
- Report to Chief Commercial Officer
Director of Strategy Skills & Abilities
- Solid business acumen with ability to think strategically about business issues and develop consensus
- Demonstrated interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to engage and motivate
- “Do whatever it takes” mindset with high sense of urgency and commitment to the business
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines
- A high sense of urgency, ability to prioritize and adapt and thrive with change
- Effective time management and organizational skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with keen understanding of value drivers
- Excellent verbal and written communication, presentation and inter-personal skills
- Effective consultative and influencing approach, with proven ability to work effectively with all organizational levels
- 3 – 5 years with consulting or corporate strategy experience
- Experience successfully leading and coordinating projects across many stakeholders
- MBA highly prefered