DEPARTMENT: EQ General...
UNION/GRADE: Unit 3/Grade 16
TO VIEW OUR BENEFITS PLEASE CLICK ON THE LINK! - https://www.mwra.com/02org/html/benefits.htm
Performs electrical installations and repairs at various locations throughout the Authority. Provides a range of possible duties, but will not necessarily perform all of the duties listed below.
Works under the direct supervision of the Unit Supervisor.
May exercise supervision of entry level staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Installs, modifies, troubleshoots, repairs, loads and tests new and existing electrical lines, circuits, systems, fixtures, associated equipment and controls for industrial use, and other equipment/systems as required and/or assigned.
• Performs electrically related activities specified by work order.
• Inspects and troubleshoots electrical systems, equipment and fixtures using testing devices.
• Performs preventive, predictive and corrective maintenance on electrical systems, equipment and fixtures according to vendor specifications.
• Installs new or replacement electrical systems, equipment and fixtures.
• Selects and obtains appropriate stock or materials per established procedures, and tools or machines for the job.
• Performs work in conformance with relevant building and electrical codes and in a safe and professional manner.
• Follows established safety, operating, and emergency response procedures and policies established by MWRA.
• Operates motor vehicles, such as vans and pickup trucks, to transport materials to work sites, and pick up and deliver supplies and equipment.
• Performs work in a safe and professional manner.
• Trains peers and subordinates as requested.
• Prepares documents and reports results in the Maximo, Lawson or other appropriate Database of inspections and work performed.
• Assists other trades in the performance of their work, as required or assigned.
• Performs light maintenance independently or as part of a team. Light maintenance shall include but not limited to:
• Performs routine testing, lockout/tagout, operation (startup/shutdown) and adjustment of process equipment.
• Installs and retrofits new equipment related to plant systems.
• With proper training sets up ladders, staging and rigging and utilizes hoists, jacks, dollies, lifts, etc. for proper access to job and to remove and install equipment.
• Operates portable pumping, ventilation and other equipment to prepare work area for access.
• Opens hatches.
• Installs safety rails.
• Removes snow from immediate work area in order to perform tasks.
• Promotes and participates in the cross-functional work practices.
• Performs related duties as required.
Education and Experience:
• A high school education or the equivalent; and
• Satisfactory completion of a certified journey level electrician apprenticeship training program, or a similar formal training program; or
• Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of Massachusetts electrical and other applicable codes.
• Thorough knowledge of pumps, compressors, generators and other related electrical equipment, including polyphase circuits and motors and associated controls.
• Thorough knowledge of the standard practices, materials, tools, occupational hazards and safety practices common to the trade as well as the completion of MWRA safety training.
• Ability to diagnose problems and recommend repair or replacement.
• Ability to work with tools and equipment of the electric trade.
• Ability to work with hazardous chemicals and in adverse weather conditions.
• The ability to read and interpret wiring diagrams, sketches, blue prints, and vendor instructions to plan and set up work for the complete installation, modification, maintenance and repair of a wide variety of industrial electrical systems.
• Ability to attain knowledge and work processes required to perform maintenance tasks required by Reliability Centered Maintenance or similar Maintenance Management Program.
• Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
• Basic reading, writing, mathematical, scientific and oral communication skills.
• A valid Massachusetts Journeyman Electrician's license.
• A valid Massachusetts Drivers License.
• Complete competency based training program related to ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES as outlined above and successfully demonstrates required competencies.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
Motor vehicle, power and hand tools, mobile radio, telephone, beeper.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee occasionally is required to stand, walk, talk or hear, sit, climb, or balance.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance and peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions. The employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and vibration. The employee occasionally works in precarious places and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of electrical shock.
The noise level in the work environment is very loud in field settings, and moderately loud at other work locations.
Massachusetts Water Resources Authority (MWRA) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or veteran status