The Head of Public Access Services is responsible for managing all aspects of resources sharing, access to the physical instance of the Law Library, and managing student and temporary workers. This librarian will also share management of the Law Library’s administrative assistant. This position is focused on facilitating use of the physical space and collection of the Law Library. Collaborating with institutional stakeholders and the members of the Law Library, this position is customer service centric with outreach to the West Virginia University College of Law faculty, students and staff, West Virginia University faculty, staff, students, and research affiliates, members of the bench and bar and residents of West Virginia. The Public Access Librarian is the front facing librarian for the Law Library and works with a team of law librarians to provide a suite of innovative services in support of the students, staff, and faculty at the College of Law. This position reports to the Law Library Director.
What you'll do:
- Recruit, hire, and manage a team of student workers to provide support for library operations associated with the management of the physical space, library metrics, and collection and stacks maintenance.
- Manages access to the collection and library space including the circulation desk, library opening and closing, and public access computers.
- Responsible for resource sharing including borrowing and lending associated with inter-library loan and consortia lending.
- Manages course reserves.
- Manages chat reference, ready reference, document delivery, and is the clearing house for requests received as part of Attorney Services. Provides support for Attorney Services. On a case-by-case basis may assist other librarians in reference projects.
- Provides support for Scholarly Communications projects.
- Manages electronic access to digital collections including password distribution and diligence for the College of Law. Is the Downtown Library access liaison.
- Manages library publications and media including the routine maintenance of the Law Library webpage, library monitors, and various guides associated with use of the law library (digital and print). Is responsible for communications regarding library programming, library policies, hours, collections, and the physical space.
- Is responsible for Law Library Stacks Maintenance including managing a team to update the print collection.
- Manages the Law Library physical space including the study rooms/seat reservation systems.
- In consultation with the Director develops policies associated with the use and access of the print and digital collections.
- Maintains usage statistics and other library metrics associated with the use of the collection, use of the physical space, and library services.
- Serves on appropriate committees in the College of Law and on campus including the University Library.
- Meet requirements of the Library Faculty Criteria Document for appointment and promotion through librarianship, professional development or research, and service.
- Master’s Degree from an ALA accredited school of Information or Library Science is required.
- This position is an on-campus position.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley — the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic learning environment is core to WVU’s academic mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu . View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.