The City of Boise is looking for an experienced and creative Human Resources professional to build a team from the ground up as our Human Resources Business Partner (HRBP) Senior Manager. Someone with the passion, determination, and drive to take us to the next level. In this role, you’ll be responsible for building out a new team at the City of Boise, hiring skilled and experienced HR Business Partners to serve departments from A (airport) to Z (zoo), and leading that team to exceptional outcomes.
The HRBP Senior Manager is the primary conduit between HR strategy and business strategies across the organization. This role will:
- Provide vision, direction, and leadership to the HRBP team in support of business units, business leaders, and organizational functions to provide HR expertise and consulting to achieve current and future business objectives through the development of proactive HR strategy and practices.
- Identify business needs, gaps, readiness, and collaborate with functional HR teams to develop and deliver essential products and services.
- Drive and influence key workforce planning initiatives with the business.
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with managers and employees to provide advice on a variety of HR and business-related issues on both strategic and tactical levels.
- Receives world-class benefits
- May be eligible for a hybrid work schedule
- Is designated as At-Will
Facilitate consistent and efficient HR processes across all departments within the organization:
- Partner with the HR Leadership Team to set organizational vision and strategies that drive best-in-class hiring, team member development, retention, rewards, and empowerment of top talent
- Drive and lead the organizational people strategy and initiatives in partnership with senior leaders while maintaining strategic alignment between the business and HR
- Collaborate with the HRBPs and leaders of functional HR teams to ensure consistent standards and processes are established and adhered to within departments
- Act in a consultative role to enable and support organizational effectiveness and accountability in order to influence business outcomes
- Champion and lead change initiatives, values, and culture efforts
- Analyze HR metrics to identify business opportunities and work with city leadership and other HR teams to develop and implement solutions (50%)
Oversee and provide strategic direction to HRBP Team
- Translate functional strategy into people strategy
- Use data to anticipate trends, interpret the impact on business and people strategies, recommend actions, and influence change
- Advise HRBP team as issues arise and need escalation@@Lead HRBP team to influence organizational leaders to prioritize and drive culture, engagement, and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) initiatives, and reflect those priorities in actions with teams
- Ensure HR standards and processes are followed and administered consistently by HRBPs across the organization (25%)
- Prioritize high-value activities and build processes to reduce low-value tasks
- Participate with other Senior Managers in setting annual HRBP team and HR priorities and key metrics
- Utilize key HR tools, systems, and processes
- Participate in advancing DEI goals in alignment with the city’s values
- Oversee the budget for the HRBP function (15%)
- Employees in this position are authorized to recommend and/or effect the full range of duties (with appropriate managerial review), including hiring, performance evaluations, transferring, promoting, assigning of significant duties, rewarding, disciplining and terminating employment. Exercise independent judgment to direct others work and have the authority to take corrective action; and, utilize people skills to communicate, motivate and direct or oversee a person, group, department, or organization. (10%)
Performs other duties as assigned. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time. Total Percentage = 100%
Required Knowledge, Experience, And Training
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in Human Resources, Business Management, Public Administration, or related discipline
- 8 years of diverse, progressive experience managing multiple aspects of the employee life cycle such as business partnering, employee relations, organizational development, recruiting, and/or total rewards
- 3 years of experience managing human resource staff in a supervisory capacity
- Demonstrated success working in a highly collaborative environment, with a track record of accomplishment with measurable business impact and managing within a complex organizational structure.
- Consulting methodology with internal clients to diagnose organizational effectiveness issues and implement solutions
- State and federal labor and employment guidelines and laws
- Managing projects and initiatives, including developing project plans, identifying stakeholders, preparing corresponding communication plans, identifying milestones, deadlines, and metrics to assess outcomes/results
- Managing and directing the work of other employees
- Administering policies and procedures, including departmental budgeting, strategic planning, and procedural change
- Contemporary computer software applications and office equipment
- Effectively plan, manage, and direct the work of others
- Perform and oversee complex tasks across broad organizational systems
- Consult and collaborate with leaders and cross-functional partners
- Research, analyze and evaluate a variety of complex challenges and recommend possible solutions to strategic and organizational problems relating to HR
- Present facts, recommendations, and convincing ideas verbally and in writing using a high degree of emotional intelligence and communication skill
- Demonstrate organizational and intercultural awareness
- Embrace and model a growth mindset
- Exercise tact and diplomacy in dealing with sensitive, complex, and often confidential issues and situations
- Respond effectively to a rapidly changing work environment
- Utilize project management, change management, design thinking, strategic thinking, and analytical thinking skills
- Balance team and individual responsibilities, multi-task and work autonomously
- Demonstrate sound, independent judgment in resolving problems and making decisions
- Use modern office equipment including computers, computer applications, and software
- Display an attitude of cooperation and work harmoniously with all levels of city employees and the public
- Communicate effectively in the English language at a level necessary for efficient job performance
- Complete assignments in a timely fashion
- Understand and comply with all rules, policies, and regulations
- Maintain prompt and regular attendance
- Perform all essential and marginal functions as assigned by an authorized employee supervisor, and/or manager with or without reasonable accommodation
- Capable of operating vehicles safely and having an acceptable driving record
Preferred Knowledge, Experience, And Training
- Master’s degree with an emphasis on Human Resources, Business Management, or related field
- 10 years of increasingly responsible HR experience with the full range of responsibilities in an organization equal to or larger than the City of Boise
- Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SCP) Certification
Licensing And Other Requirements
- Valid state-issued driver's license
- Applicants must be able to pass:
- City of Boise background check processes including a criminal history check and reference checks in accordance with the City of Boise Hiring Process Regulation
- Driving Record Check
- Education Verification
- Criminal Justice Information System background check (CJIS)
The physical effort characteristics and working environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is occasionally lifting/carrying up to 10 pounds. Also, the employee is occasionally pushing/pulling up to 10 pounds. The noise level is rarely moderate. Work includes the sensory ability to talk and hear. Work in this position also includes close vision. Employees will reach and grasp. Position requires hand/finger dexterity.
The work environment will include inside conditions. Employees will also drive a vehicle as part of this position.