The person in this position inspects, services, and maintains diesel locomotives in accordance with federal and company regulations, diagnoses diesel-engine malfunctions, and makes indicated repairs using hand tools, measuring instruments, and sometimes machine tools. He or she may operate mechanical equipment to assemble, repair, and fabricate metal parts and may be required to qualify as a shop-service locomotive engineer in accordance with FRA standards.
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety and operations and with Federal Railroad Administration standards
- Perform daily inspections, servicing, and maintenance on diesel-electric locomotives, including but not limited to performing scheduled and preventative maintenance as determined by company policy; fueling, checking, and changing oil and liquid levels; changing filters for engine air, air compressor, fuel, and lube oil; replacing and maintaining engine components, traction motors, generators, air compressors, wheels, and truck components; and washing and cleaning locomotives as necessary
- Be responsible for following FRA regulations pertaining to locomotive maintenance and inspection as well as railroad environmental requirements
- Troubleshoot and diagnose malfunctions in diesel engines, air equipment, trucks, or other components; repair or replace as necessary
- Perform locomotive car-body repairs as necessary, including performing metal fabrication and welding
- Operate forklifts, light cranes, power tools, and hydraulic tools while working outside in all weather conditions, in confined spaces, and/or at elevated heights
- Assist with other projects and perform other duties as assigned
REQUIRED SKILLS AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Knowledge of FRA regulations pertaining to locomotive maintenance and inspection
- Knowledge of railroad environmental requirements
- Two years of relevant work experience as a heavy mechanic
- Ability to read and comprehend written and oral instructions
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND/OR CREDENTIALS:
- High school diploma or GED; four-year journeyman locomotive machinist/mechanic a plus; Locomotive Service Engineer certification a plus; welding certification a plus
- At least eighteen years of age
- Valid driver’s license
This position is employed by the specific entity set forth in the job posting.
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. and its subsidiary companies do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or any other protected status under federal, state or local laws.