Assists with the provision of patient centered care in an outpatient clinic. Performs various clinical support tasks under clinical supervision within the organization's established scope of practice guidelines to ensure efficient patient flow.
- Prepares and rooms the patient for exam by obtaining vital signs and gathering/documenting/updating pertinent health information (i.e. chief complaint, allergies, and/or medications).
- Performs laboratory procedures (i.e. strep test, wound culture, specimen collection, etc.) using principles of aseptic technique and standard precautions/infection control guidelines.
- Assists the physician/advance practice provider (APP) with procedures and surgeries such as pelvic exams, allergy scratch testing, EMG, cautery, colposcopy, etc.
- Administers routine medications, under physician/APP orders, which may include but are not limited to immunizations, antibiotics, vitamins and topical agents.
- Provides basic patient instructions on the performance of routine tasks or skills. Follows through with necessary procedure or test requests, pre-approved care algorithms, new appointment times and referrals to other facilities or services. Refers questions to registered nurses and physicians/providers per scope of practice guidelines and relays information back to patient as directed.
- Communicates with physicians and other members of the health care team to ensure smooth clinic flow and makes adjustments as necessary. Effectively communicates accurate and timely information with the patient.
- May perform basic and advanced clinical support tasks or skills based on the specialty and appropriate advanced skills and competencies such as but not limited to removal of sutures and staples, straight catheterization, audiograms, laboratory procedures (throat/nose culture, drug screen), phlebotomy - butterfly, venous heel stick, EKG, spirometry, Holter monitor application, etc., under clinical supervision.
- Medical Assistant Float position that will support Surgical Specialty clinics at our Southern Lakes, Lake Geneva and Waterford locations.
- Hours will vary Monday- Friday *****.
Licenses & Certifications
Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers certification issued by the American Heart Association (AHA) needs to be obtained within 6 months unless department leader has determined it is not required.
Completion of an accredited or approved program in Medical Assistant.
Required Functional Experience
No experience required
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Ability to perform routine and complex technical skills, within the Medical Assistant scope of practice after demonstrated competency.Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to develop rapport and maintain positive, professional relationships with a variety of patients, staff and physicians.Proficient computer skills including keyboarding, navigation within a windows operating system, and use of electronic mail with exposure to electronic medical records systems.Demonstrates customer service skills that support a positive patient experience.