Official Title: Medical Assistant Business Title: Medical Assistant Employment Class: University Staff FTE: .65 Compensation: $16.50 - $18.00 per hour FLSA Status: Non-exempt Terms of Employment: 12-month, continuous Position Summary:
Seeking highly motivated medical assistant to assist physicians, nurse practitioners, and nurses in providing medical care to the student body at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh. Responsibilities include administrative, lab, and clinical tasks such as maintaining patient records, preparing patients and rooms for examination, assisting providers with exams, performing appropriate lab collection and processing, and front-desk tasks. Commitment to a flexible work schedule which may include some evenings and/or weekends. Anticipated working hours include 7:45am-4:30pm Monday through Friday during the academic calendar with limited or no hours during scheduled academic breaks and summer.
UW Oshkosh provides a competitive benefits package for all benefit-eligible positions. Click here for more details.
Provision of Clinical Medical Assistant Duties (75%)
- Meets needs of providers in assigned clinic area. Anticipates needs of me dical provider based on evaluation of patient schedule and reason for visit. Prepares patient and exam room accordingly and assists medical provider as needed.
- Rooms patients, collects vitals and patient history according
- Performs peak flows and oximetry.
- Performs nebulizer treatments, EKGs, and other clinical
- Obtains lab specimens per provider order such as rapid strep,
drug screens and urine specimens. Performs CLIA waived testing and
- Assures patients who present to the reception window that are
acutely ill get immediate medical attention.
- Administer medications and injections as ordered by the
provider, monitor for reaction and document in the electronic
- Expedite patient referral to inpatient or outpatient services.
Arranges consultation appointments, tests and treatments utilizing
appropriate community resources.
- Instructs and educates patients as indicated and provides
follow up as necessary.
- Explains and instructs patients on preparation for exams, tests
- Inventories medications and maintains supplies as
- Cleans exam room and equipment, cupboards and restocks exam
rooms as needed.
- Cleans, adjusts and maintains medical equipment in good working
- Sterilizes equipment as needed. Cleans and maintains
- Assists with training nursing assistant student staff.
- Processes medication refill requests and documents in the
electronic medical record.
- Answers phone and schedules appointments appropriately using
- Collects and records payment from patients.
- Proficient with use of electronic technology, including the
electronic medical record.
- Participates in quality studies and reports adverse
- Serves on Student Health Center committees as assigned.
- Supports the Division of Student Affairs Strategic Priorities,
and the mission of the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh.
- Actively engages and participates in student programming,
campus events, and inclusive excellence goals.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED
- Active Medical Assistant Certification (CMA) or Registration
(RMA), or Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA)
- Current CPR certification or ability to obtain within 1 month
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, and
- Completion of an accredited or approved medical assistant
- 2 years of experience as a medical assistant in ambulatory
primary care, urgent care, women's health and/or with young adult
- Demonstrated ability to function well in a team-based
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, internet,
electronic mail, and electronic medical record software
- Experience with or proficient in public speaking
Applicants must submit the following documents using the online application:
Cover letter, resume, and contact information for 3 professional references
For questions regarding your application and additional options to apply, contact Human Resources at *****/a> or *****.
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION: Applications received by June 27, 2022 are ensured full consideration. Applications received after that date may be given consideration at the discretion of the search committee. Application materials will be evaluated and the most qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process. Incomplete and/or late application materials may not receive consideration.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment, or if you are not able to complete the application online due to a disability or system problem, please contact the Office of Human Resources.
The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh (UWO) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. We strongly encourage women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans to apply. UWO, in compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, or protected veteran status.
Diversity drives innovation, creativity, and progress. At the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, the culture, identities, life experiences, unique abilities, and talents of every individual contribute to the foundation of our success. Creating and maintaining an inclusive and equitable environment is of paramount importance to us. This pursuit prepares all of us to be global citizens who will contribute to the betterment of the world. We are committed to a university culture that provides everyone with the opportunity to thrive.
UWO provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual with a disability. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact *****/a> or *****. This job announcement and other material on this site will be made available in alternate formats upon request to an individual with a disability.
Confidentiality of Applicant Materials
UWO is a State agency and subject to Wisconsin's Open Records Law. UWO will not, however, reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing except as may be required by Wisconsin's Open Records law. In certain circumstances, the identities of "final candidates" and/or the identity of the appointed applicant must be revealed upon request.
CBC & Reference Check Policy
All candidates for employment are subject to a pre-employment screening which includes a criminal background check, work authorization, and verification of education. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment.
The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh does not offer H-1B or other work authorization visa sponsorship for this position. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term.
Annual Security and Fire Safety Report (Clery Act)
For the UWO Annual Security and Fire Safety Reports (i.e., Clery Report), which includes statistics about reported crimes and information about campus security policies, see https://uwosh.edu/police/ , or call UWO Police Department, at ***** for a paper copy.