The Network Engineer is a key contributor to the execution of network strategy and architecture. The person in this role uses and administers the tools, systems, and services that comprise the network ecosystem, to ensure the availability, reliability, maintainability, scalability, availability, reliability, maintainability, and security for this company's extensive field operations and business functions. They work closely with a multi-discipline team of service providers, IT team members, OT/ICS automation, and others to provide, support and protect critical infrastructure and information assets of the company. This is a hands-on position and therefore it is critical that the person in this role have breadth and depth of experience to address enterprise-scale network challenges using contemporary and emerging solutions. The position is located in our Long Beach office.
- Supports day-to-day network operations, participates in network and related IT projects, and participates in the troubleshooting and resolution of network outage emergencies, issues or other urgent situations.
- Administration of core technical network platform, capabilities, and services that support business processes and data.
- Implements, manages, supports, and secures scalable enterprise networks to meet business needs.
- Customizes and administers enterprise network management tools.
- Adheres to policies and process for IT governance for Change Management, Configuration Management, Access Management, Asset Management, and Incident and Request Management.
- Configures and supports network switches, routers, firewalls, and wireless devices.
- Configures and supports WAN and Internet circuits and virtual private network connections (VPN).
- Supports network authentication, remote access, and cloud-connectivity.
- Monitors the network for uptime, utilization, latency, and overall performance and availability.
- Monitors the network for network behavior anomalies and configures logging and alerting functions.
- Secures network device configurations and performs vulnerability remediation.
- Maintains technical diagrams, presentations and other networking documentation.
- Communicates effectively with team members, IT peers, and internal business unit customers.
- Coordinates with managed service providers and vendors as required.
- Collaborates well with colleagues to implement solutions.
- Is a key resource for problem determination and resolution for other IT teams, the Automation (Operational Technology) group, and others throughout the company.
- Ensures the uptime, performance, resource availability, and security of the networks managed within operational guidelines.
- Collaborates on IT projects to ensure that network issues are addressed throughout the project life cycle.
- Executes daily network operational processes to support the company's environment, including following established and routine operating procedures and completing tickets and other checklist activities for recurring network operations.
- Participate in 24/7 on-call rotation.
- The ability to communicate clearly with this company's staff, build trusting relationships at all levels and across all business units and organizations, and understand business imperatives.
- Knowledge of and experience in documenting network architecture and plans.
- 5+ years IT operations experience including troubleshooting networks, servers, virtualization, and storage connectivity.
- Advanced capabilities with Cisco network infrastructure including routers, switches, firewalls, and associated protocols.
- Intermediate level knowledge and experience with routing protocols (BGP, EIGRP, RIP and OSPF); switching function (spanning tree, link aggregation/ VPC's, SPANs), network services (NAT/load balancing, Auth-DOT1x), and configuration of VPNs and DMVPNs.
- Intermediate level knowledge supporting networks for real-time applications and protocols, including voice and video as well as the associated QOS protecting those services.
- Experience supporting networks in a highly segmented environment.
- Cisco CCNA certification or equivalent experience.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, information systems, or related field of study.
- Experience supporting point-to-point microwave radio links.
- Experience supporting network connectivity and segmentation for OT/ICS automation and SCADA environments.