Work Environment: This job operates in a health care setting. This role requires regular walking to various locations around the facility. Rotating shifts as well as holidays and work during inclement weather will be required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles and some mechanical equipment. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of resident conditions and elements. The noise level is moderate to quiet.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling and climbing all day. The employee must frequently lift or move objects and residents weighing over 25 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Mental Demands: This position needs to be reliable and trustworthy, along with being alert and aware. It is an important part of the job to ensure the safety of all residents under the facility’s care.
Equipment: This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, telephones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines. Specialized software applications may be required to complete tasks as well as nursing equipment such as Gait Belts, Wheelchairs, Lift Measures and Oxygen Tanks.
Education / Training: A high school diploma or GED and C NA Certification in the state of Pennsylvania required. Healthcare industry experience preferred. Twelve (12) hours of continuing education per year required.
Skill(s): Communication Proficiency (reading, writing and speaking); Basic Math Skills; Basic Safety; Teamwork Orientation; Accuracy; Initiative; Organizational Skills; Problem Solving/Analysis; Technical Capacity; Thoroughness; Time Management; Customer/Resident Focus; Ethical Conduct; Flexibility; Initiative; Personal Effectiveness/Credibility; Stress Management/Composure.
General Responsibilities: Responsible for assisting professional nursing personnel in providing care to the residents; working within parameters of established procedures and programs and operating policies; supporting nurse assistants with daily functions through the guidance of nursing area charge personnel.
- Assists professional nursing personnel in providing daily care to residents as follows:
- Pass resident night wear from gown carts as scheduled.
- Communicates and interacts verbally with the geriatric residents; reports any problems to nursing personnel in a timely manner.
- Assists in passing meal trays and may be trained to feed residents according to company policy.
- Heat bag-baths for upcoming shift change.
- Make beds according to training provided by certified nurse assistants or supervisory personnel.
- Pass water/ice to residents daily as directed.
- Practices careful, efficient, and non-wasteful use of supplies and linen.
- Insures the confidentiality of all resident- and/or employee-related information.
- Fill linen carts, as needed.
- Pass supplements to residents under the direction of the charge nurse.
- Answers call bells as directed by the nurse supervisor.
- Implements specific procedures and programs as follows:
- Insures an atmosphere which allows for the privacy, dignity, and well-being of all residents in a safe, secure environment.
- Follows standard precautions.
- Maintains awareness of individual responsibilities under the established Fire Safety/Disaster plan.
- Insures the confidentiality of all resident-and/or employee-related information.
- Insures compliance with established quality assurance program.
- Abides by the current laws and organizational policies and procedures designed and implemented to promote an environment which is free of sexual harassment and other forms of illegal discriminatory behavior in the work place.
- Complies with all regulatory requirements and adheres to all internal policies, procedures, and practices in support of risk management and overall safety practices.
- Coordinates specific tasks with other personnel within the department and in other departments in order to insure the smooth and efficient flow of information.
- Reports pertinent information to the immediate supervisor as requested, or according to an established schedule; compiles information as necessary or as directed and provides data to appropriate personnel.
- Responds to inquiries relating to his/her particular area; responds to requests from personnel, etc., within the given time frames and within the established policies.
- Maintains a professional attitude and is supportive of the facility goals and objectives.
Ancillary Duties: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Attends all mandatory in-service training programs and required meetings; participates in in-services related to restorative nursing programs.
- Assists the immediate supervisor with various administrative tasks to support department operations, as directed; may also assist on special projects.
- Performs tasks which are supportive in nature to the essential functions of the job, but which may be altered or re-designed depending upon individual circumstances.