The Phlebotomist has the primary responsibility of performing phlebotomy, courier rounds, and clerical functions that involve the accessing and barcoding of specimens. The collection of blood specimens on patients include age groups defined as neonates (0-31 days), child (1 month - 3 years), pediatrics (4-11 years), adolescents (12-18 years), adults (19-65 years) and senior adult (age 65).
The Phlebotomist will assist with preventative maintenance, quality assurance, orientation and training of students and new employees, education, inter and intra-departmental relationships, and communications with nursing units, patients and the physician staff as it relates to laboratory services.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent is required. Completion of a phlebotomy program is preferred.
Experience: Completion of one full year of experience as a phlebotomist is desired. Must have a valid driver’s license, with motor vehicle record acceptable to company’s auto liability insurance carrier and a reliable car with own liability insurance if courier duties are required.
- Sufficient sight (includes color discrimination), manual dexterity and mobility to function efficiently in exercising job responsibilities.
- Works in hazardous and bio-hazardous areas of the laboratory and is subject to cuts and punctures from equipment.
- Walking, bending and standing for 80-90 % of work shift.
- Able to lift 15 lbs. as required to stock reagents and various lab supplies.
- Ability to effectively communicate (verbal and written).
- Ability to remain calm, continue to function effectively and develop priorities during stressful situations.
- Works scheduled hours that include weekends, holidays, and nights as necessary.
Requisition ID: 7463-9783