Who We Are
Shape a brighter financial future with us.
Together with our members, we're changing the way people think about and interact with personal finance.
We're a next-generation fintech company using innovative, mobile-first technology to help our millions of members reach their goals. The industry is going through an unprecedented transformation, and we're at the forefront. We're proud to come to work every day knowing that what we do has a direct impact on people's lives, with our core values guiding us every step of the way. Join us to invest in yourself, your career, and the financial world.
We are seeking a Principal Software Engineer to join the team that delivers every day consumer financial products & services to help people Get Their Money Right. In this role you will lead ambiguous & complex work across multiple teams, divisions and organizations as the most senior technical contributor. Your responsibility will include mentorship for engineers, leadership in shaping standards for technical design and execution, hiring practices, and operational excellence.
The ideal candidate is both forward-thinking and hands-on, has a strong sense of ownership and drive for delivery. This role is inherently cross-functional and you will work closely with engineering, product, marketing, risk, compliance, data science, operations, legal, and executive teams to set forth a strategy, define, and prioritize a vision. You'll play the critical role of bridging the technical and business worlds to deliver solutions that enable our engineers to get things done while driving our business forward, while also bridging engineering systems across products and teams in shaping the broader technical architecture. You'll face and solve a wide range of challenges: technical, product, and operational, shaping your personal growth and career along the way.
What You'll Do
- Deliver high quality designs and code at scale that benefit our users, while communicating with groups in and outside our engineering teams.
- Make significant contributions to the technical architecture of the various products and systems.
- Generate ideas for new business-impacting initiatives and ways of leveraging technology in the pursuit of our goals.
- Advocate for engineering best practices and drive rigorous hiring and coding standards, and overall raise the bar on technical excellence.
- Develop, apply, and socialize advanced technologies, engineering principles, theories and concepts.
- Work across teams at SoFi to help develop & enhance products and systems. This role offers a unique chance to touch virtually every feature in SoFi's digital touchpoints.
- Provide technical mentorship to engineers.
- Lead & present in broad forums with senior technical leaders across the company.
- 10+ years programming experience, with significant experience in a JVM-based language and familiarity with Spring.
- Expert understanding and hands-on experience building and operating large-scale fault-tolerant distributed systems, workflows, databases and mobile/web applications
- Deep understanding of code release, deployment orchestration / rollout mechanisms, logging, instrumentation, monitoring, and alerting in a microservices environment.
- Experience with public cloud infrastructure, preferably AWS.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- You demonstrate extremely high levels of technical knowledge, ingenuity and creativity.
- You are customer-obsessed and have an affinity for solving complex problems and shipping impactful features, and make pragmatic high judgment decisions without letting perfection become the enemy of progress.
- You work and play well with others; SoFi is a highly collaborative workplace and a melting pot of diverse talent.
- You are confident in asking difficult questions and challenging your team while also keenly listening and taking feedback.
- You are a voracious learner - you have the ability to quickly and independently acquire proficiency in new languages and technologies.
- You value mentorship and constantly look for ways to improve the technical depth of the individuals on your teams.
- Competitive salary packages and bonuses
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision and life insurance benefits
- Generous vacation and holidays
- Paid parental leave for eligible employees
- 401(k) and education on retirement planning
- Tuition reimbursement on approved programs
- Monthly contribution up to $200 to help you pay off your student loans
- Great health & well-being benefits including: telehealth parental support, subsidized gym program
- These benefits are only applicable to full time employees
The health and safety of our employees and their families is our top priority. Due to the ongoing nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, effective on November 1, 2021, U.S. employees must be fully vaccinated and boosted (when eligible) to work from any of our offices, travel for business or attend work-related meetings.
The company will make reasonable accommodations when possible for employees who are unable to be vaccinated because of a disability, pregnancy, sincerely held religious belief, or for other legally required reasons..
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
New York applicants: Notice of Employee Rights
SoFi is committed to embracing diversity. As part of this commitment, SoFi offers reasonable accommodations to candidates with physical or mental disabilities. If you need accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, please let your recruiter know or email accommodations@.
Due to insurance coverage issues, we are unable to accommodate remote work from Hawaii or Alaska at this time.