Thousands of us around the world wake up every day with a common purpose: to make the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place. Science is in our DNA; we are endlessly curious and passionate about seeking and speaking the truth. We take delight in knowing that our work makes a meaningful contribution to society, and we are proud that our culture is centered on integrity, collaboration, inclusion and excellence. UL stands at the forefront of technological advancement, and we are continually challenged to find new ways to foster innovation and positive change. Satisfying? Yes. Exciting? Absolutely!
kVA by UL is seeking a Functional Safety Consultant who will be involved with the safety work product development for various vehicle features, including complex software-intensive systems such as systems for self-driving vehicles, industrial automation, battery and energy storage in both vehicle and stationary applications etc. The Consultant will lead the development, or review of safety work products for clients seeking compliance to standards in functional safety and related fields, including ISO 26262, IEC 61508, IEC/EN 62061, ISO 61511, ISO 21448, UL 4600, ISO 13849, ISO 21434, and other similar standards relevant to system, hardware, and software engineering safety lifecycle.What you’ll learn & achieve:
- Lead the development of safety work products for heavy duty electric vehicle clients seeking compliance to standards in functional safety and related fields, including ISO 26262, ISO 21448, UL 4600, and other similar standards relevant to systems and hardware engineering
- Apply skills to develop strong safety argumentation in support of safety case development
- Create or contribute as necessary to hazard and risk analyses, functional, technical, hardware, and software safety concept for various vehicle systems and components
- Define safety requirements based on Customer system, hardware, and software architectures
- Lead and perform safety analysis such as FMEA, FMEDA, FTA, STPA on wide variety of domains including L2 to L4 applications
- Perform verification reviews or other technical review activities as directed
- Lead training events, gap analysis, workshops in topics relevant to vehicle safety
- Lead client programs by interacting regularly with clients in technical program meetings and project reviews. Provide technical assistance to clients in reference to functional safety and related technical fields. Projects may include optional travel to client sites and to other UL locations
What makes you a great fit:
- M.S. or B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering, Automotive Engineering, Computer Science, related technical degree, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience in safety related role in automotive functional safety
- Hands-on experience in vehicle systems electronics hardware design
- Safety Analysis knowledge including FMEA, FMEDA, STPA
- Experience working with ISO 26262 and ISO 21448 standards
Preferred skills include:
- Knowledge of Battery Management Systems, Inverter design for Electric vehicle application hardware
- Experience on ISO 26262 standard is highly preferred
UL has COVID-19 protocols and policies in place to ensure the safety of our employees, customers and clients. Effective November 1, 2021, the company mandates that employees are vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment (except where prohibited by law), subject to reasonable accommodation as required by lawWhat you’ll experience working at UL:
- Mission: For UL, corporate and social responsibility isn’t new. Making the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place has been our business model for the last 125 years and is deeply engrained in everything we do.
- People: Ask any UL employee what they love most about working here, and you’ll almost always hear, “the people.” Going beyond what is possible is the standard at UL. We’re able to deliver the best because we employ the best.
- Interesting work: Every day is different for us here as we eagerly anticipate the next innovation that our customers create. We’re inspired to take on the challenge that will transform how people live, work and play. And as a global company, in many roles, you will get international experience working with colleagues around the world.
- Grow & achieve: We learn, work and grow together with targeted development, reward and recognition programs as well as our very own UL University that offers extensive training programs for employees at all stages, including a technical training track for applicable roles.
- Total Rewards: All employees at UL are eligible for bonus compensation. UL offers a generous 401k matching structure of up to 5% of eligible pay. Additionally, we invest an additional 4% into your retirement saving fund after your first year of continuous employment. We provide Healthcare Reimbursement Accounts and Health Savings Accounts that UL contributes to twice per year! Depending on your role, you can work with your manager on flexible working arrangements. We also provide employees with paid time off including vacation, holiday, sick and volunteer time off.
Working at UL is an exciting journey that twists and turns daily. We thrive in the twists and revel in the turns. This is our every day. This is our normal.
Curious? To learn more about us and the work we do, visit UL.com