The Airport Grounds Worker I is a non-technical position assigned to the Airport. The incumbent performs manual labor in a field environment and is responsible for maintenance of grounds, buildings, fences and structures at all Airport owned facilities.Inspects and evaluates airport grounds, equipment and facilities including runways, buildings, lights, fences, pavement and landscaping; identifies needed repair, replacement and maintenance and preventive maintenance.
Perform landscaping duties such as mowing grass, trimming hedges, shrubbery, removing weeds, and maintaining flower beds; sprays herbicides and pesticides.
Operates a variety of equipment and machines such as tractors, dump trucks, lawn mowers, string trimmers and air compressors, etc.
Inspects and performs minor and preventative maintenance on equipment and tools.
Escorts Contractors and Inmate Work Crews picking up refuse and emptying trash cans.
Performs other related duties as required.
Regular attendance is required.Education: High school graduate or equivalent (GED).
Experience: One (1) year of experience in building and grounds maintenance or a combination of
education and field experience.
Skills: Safe and efficient operation of vehicles, heavy equipment, hand and
Licenses, Certifications or Registrations: Must possess and maintain a valid Florida Driver's License with a good driving record as
defined by current insurance carrier. CPR and First Aid Certifications preferred. Must possess or be capable of obtaining FEMA ICS 100, ICS 200 and ICS 700 NIMS certification.
This position may be subject to vaccines when necessary.
Must maintain a telephone for emergency contact.
CRITICAL EXPERTISE TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
• Knowledge and skill in the safe and efficient operation of vehicles, heavy equipment, hand and power tools.
• Ability to perform manual labor safely and efficiently in a field environment (see physical skills and environmental conditions below).
• Ability to clean and paint buildings, structures and equipment.
• Skill and understanding of mechanical systems in order to perform preventive maintenance on equipment and tools.
• Ability to correctly interpret and carry out written and oral instructions.
• Ability to interact with others tactfully and professionally.
• Ability and willingness to work weekends, holidays and other times in case of emergency as assigned by supervisor.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS
Constant: Use of fingers and both hands, climbing, (arms and legs) and climbing (legs only). Very Frequent: Heavy lifting and carrying (up to 50 lbs.), reaching above shoulder, good near and distant vision, depth perception, pushing, walking, standing, throwing, driving of pick-ups, cars, and driving and operating heavy equipment and trucks.Pay Grade: 207
Bargaining Unit: Teamsters Local 79
Job ID: 1016134486723485754