Fahrenheit Advisors is assisting Southwest Community College in their search for an Accountant to join their team. Southwest Virginia Community College is a two-year institution of higher education with more than 80 programs of study. Boasting an Honor's college and 14 NJCAA Athletic programs, the school primarily serves the residents of the counties of Buchanan, Dickenson, Russell and Tazewell. Southwest Virginia Community College transforms lives, strengthens communities and inspires excellence and is guided by core values which include: student centered learning, student success, excellence and inclusiveness and collaboration.
The Accountant will perform professional level accounting, budgeting, and management support to the Chief Business Officer.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Performs accounting functions for student financial aid programs.
- Maintains general ledger and detailed accounting for all federal financial aid programs.
- Performs grants management, control, and reporting for federal, state and private grants.
- Responsible for financial management, reconciliations and internal audit.
- Prepares opening and closing entries in Accounting Information System to produce year end financial statements.
- Reporting to comply with Federal and State requirements.
- Other responsibilities related to general accounting functions.
Desired Experience and Capabilities:
- Knowledge of GAAP principles and practices.
- Knowledge of government fund accounting.
- Advanced accounting principles and competency in higher education accounting.
- Knowledge of the use of data processing techniques, including software programs, to maintain and control accounting records.
- Ability to understand, analyze, and apply accounting principles and methods as they relate to the college's financial transactions.
- Ability to assemble, analyze and prepare financial reports and statements.
- Strong knowledge of MS Excel and spreadsheet software.
- Excellent analyses and decision-making skills in the areas of auditing daily and monthly financial input/output of Administrative Information System (AIS) an Commonwealth Accounting and Reporting System (CARS).
- Knowledge of fund accounting and/or grant accounting.
Education and experience:
- Accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree with major studies in accounting or the equivalent combination of training and experience desired.
- Experience in accounting functions and in applying accounting principles and practices in an area having responsibilities for federal funds accounting and financial statements is highly desired.