An Opportunity to Join our Remarkable Care team as a Patient Support Tech awaits YOU!!!!
Full-Time Night Shift on 4 South Med/Surg
The Patient Support Technician functions as a collaborative member of the health care team in partnership with and under supervision of the Registered Nurse utilizing principles of Relationship-based Care, performs direct patient care to a specific group of patients and coordinates activities which relate to the flow of unit processes. Actively supports the activities of the unit based shared governance council. Promotes organizational commitment and excellence in the patient care experience.
Minimum Education, Licensure / Certification and Experience Required.
B. Licensure / Certification
- Graduation from an accredited high school or GED program or equivalent.
- Completion of one of the following: 1. Certification program which requires a Medical/Surgical rotation; 2. Emergency Medical Technician (EMT); 3. Equivalent work experience as defined in Section D.
C Special Skill / Aptitudes
- If EMT - current licensure in State of Michigan.
- Certification by an accredited Unit Secretary/Health Unit Coordinator training course or equivalent working experience preferred
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
- Organizational and time management skills necessary to complete responsibilities of role.
- Excellent customer service orientation skills necessary in order to deal effectively with various levels of hospital personnel, outside customers and community groups.
Duties / Responsibilities:
- 6 months direct patient care experience within past 5 years. OR
- Completion of one Medical/Surgical clinical rotation in a nursing educational program. OR
- Completion of a "Patient Care Technician" program that requires successful completion of an externship in an acute care facility.
- Previous Health Unit Coordinator/Unit Secretary working experience preferred.
1. Schedules diagnostic procedures and treatments.
2. Initiates and maintains patient medical records
3. Manages communication for the unit including placing and receiving calls from physicians, other departments, and visitors.
4. Maintains an accurate patient roster/census and available ready beds.
5. Demonstrates principles of Relationship-based Care to cultivate and maintain therapeutic relationships as a means to optimal healing and collegial functioning as an interdisciplinary care team member.
6. Provides patient care that reflects respect for patients' rights, dignity, values, culture preferences, and expressed needs and attention to providing comfort, relieving pain, and alleviating anxiety.
7. Actively engages and participates in unit-based and other committees and initiatives that promote patient and workplace safety, optimal patient outcomes, and satisfaction.
8. Seeks and incorporates feedback concerning improvement in one's own practice, including participation in self-appraisal.
9. Takes personal accountability to seek out experiences in order to maintain skills and competence.
10. Integrates principles of the Personal Connected Journey and demonstrates Trinity Health Guiding Behaviors to provide excellent care of self, patients, and care team members.
11. Provides basic bedside care and selected procedures under the direction and supervision of the Registered Nurse. Including but not limited to: venipuncture, 12 lead EKG, basic blood glucose collection and monitoring, respiratory care (i.e. Cough and deep breathing, incentive spirometry, pulse oximetry, oxygen setup, hand held nebulizer), dressing changes, collection of vital signs, recognition of life-threatening conditions with initial responses and reporting, emptying and measuring drainage equipment.
12. Assists with the provision of patient education under the direction of the Registered Nurse.
13. Assists with the provision of patient education under the direction of the Registered Nurse.
14. Performs activities of daily living (ADLS) appropriate to the patient's condition under the direction of and supervision of the Registered Nurse.
15. Performs basic nutritional support to patients such as bed set up, assistance with feeding, and collection and documentation of intake and calorie count as appropriate.
16. Assists with the admission process by collecting selected assessment data, applying necessary equipment, labeling patient's clothes and belongings, informing patient/family of unit routines, etc.
17. Provides individualized care consistent with the plan of care under the direction and supervision of the Registered Nurse.
18. Reports changes in patient condition to the Registered Nurse in a timely manner.
19. Performs other various duties as assigned and needed. These duties may vary depending upon the unit, patient type and need, number and complexity of treatment provided. Additional duties may also include non-clinical duties consistent with meeting the needs of the patient and care team.
-Demonstrates and actively promotes an understanding and commitment to the mission of St. Joseph Mercy Oakland through performing behaviors consistent with the Trinity Health Values.
-Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and Local laws and regulations, the Trinity
Health Organizational Integrity Program, including the Standards of Conduct, Code of Ethics, as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical and professional behaviors.
-In accordance with unit or departmental practice, determines that appropriate charges have been entered for the correct patient, encounter, date/time of service, with any required modifiers. Make corrections as needed per charge capture policy/practice.
-In accordance with unit or departmental practice, actively participates in on-going education and communication regarding revenue management.
-In accordance with unit or departmental practice, assists with tracking and monitoring of equipment assigned to the unit. Requests services for maintaining equipment as needed.
-In accordance with unit or departmental practice, proficient with the electronic health records for documentation, assessment, and care management, performing these activities concurrently with provision of care throughout the shift.
Trinity Health's Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Trinity Health employs about 133,000 colleagues at dozens of hospitals and hundreds of health centers in 22 states. Because we serve diverse populations, our colleagues are trained to recognize the cultural beliefs, values, traditions, language preferences, and health practices of the communities that we serve and to apply that knowledge to produce positive health outcomes. We also recognize that each of us has a different way of thinking and perceiving our world and that these differences often lead to innovative solutions.
Trinity Health's dedication to diversity includes a unified workforce (through training and education, recruitment, retention and development), commitment and accountability, communication, community partnerships, and supplier diversity.