What you'll do...
The Marketing Analytics team helps drive business strategy by synthesizing performance metrics into actionable insights across key product categories and marketing channels. The team sits within Marketing which is part of the US Omni (eCommerce and Stores) Walmart business unit. The Business Intelligence function within Marketing Analytics supports both Category Marketing (Entertainment, Apparel, Home, Hardlines, Consumables, Food) as well as Channel Marketing (Email/Push, Search, Display, Affiliates, Social, Video, and other new and emerging channels). Marketing Analytics is a new high growth team that is scaling up to help accelerate Walmart’s aggressive growth both for online eCommerce and offline brick & mortar Stores.
As the Associate Director, Marketing Analytics – Channel Analytics, you will create and lead the development of world-class analytics to evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of our marketing. Your primary focus will be to help drive performance for two new strategic initiatives: Marketplace (3rd Party Sellers on Walmart.com) and Walmart Connect (Advertisers on Walmart.com). However, you may also be asked to help manage Channel Analytics for the core Walmart US business as well. You will be responsible for building out a holistic view of performance as well as a detailed analytics roadmap by leveraging state of the art analytics tools (i.e. SQL/Hive/Hadoop/Cloud, Adobe Analytics, VisualIQ, Tableau/ThoughSpot/Looker, etc.). Key projects include Attribution, Experimentation, and Optimization. This role is highly visible since it must work cross functionally with Channel Marketing, Marketplace, and the Walmart Connect advertising teams. You will be actively involved with identifying areas of opportunity to drive revenue through data-driven best practices. Given the size and scale of Marketing at Walmart this position will have significant impact across the organization.
- Lead and develop the strategy for reporting, testing, analyzing, and forecasting business performance across key Marketing Channels (Search, Display, Paid Social) for Marketplace (3rd Party Sellers) and Walmart Connect (Advertiser) as well as core Walmart US eCommerce & Stores business
- Identify and provide both tactical ad hoc insights and a strategic ongoing roadmap of deep analytics
- Integrate disparate data sources and leverage state-of-the-art analytics best practices in order to deliver integrated actionable insights to partners and senior leadership around digital marketing optimization
- Lead Marketplace and Advertising analytics through advanced analytics techniques such as multi-touch attribution, marginal ROAS, experimentation, etc. with the goal of helping the organization understand the best way to drive incremental sales
- Participate in customer segmentation analysis, including acquisition and retention, CAC (Customer Acquisition Cost), and LTV (Lifetime Value) measurement
- Build tools and lead training to enable Marketers to adopt an analytical mindset for their daily business decisions.
- Partner with the Data Engineering & Measurement teams to define data architecture and in-house tool requirements, ensure complete tagging and tracking of assets and campaigns, and to design actionable testing scenarios.
- Partner with Data Science/Machine Learning Team to develop AI techniques to optimize business performance.
- BA/BS in Business, Marketing, Mathematics, Statistics or related field (or equivalent experience)
- 9+ years of experience in data analysis or an analytical capacity
- 5+ years of experience in Marketing Analytics, Digital Analytics, or eCommerce Analytics
- 4+ years of experience leading cross functional teams and influencing Marketing, Finance, Business Operations and Engineering
- Proficient SQL programming skills with an understanding of database capabilities and experience of integrating, structuring, and analyzing large amounts of data from diverse sources
- Experience leveraging big data technologies (Hive/Hadoop) and modern data visualization tools (Tableau, ThoughtSpot, Looker) to blend data from multiple sources to help answer multi-dimensional business questions
- Experience with statistical concepts and knowledge of Test/Control methodologies
- Expert level understanding of Microsoft Office suite especially Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills and ability to synthesize findings into tangible actions that help drive business outcomes
- Strong organizational skills, a strong sense of ownership and accountability, and the ability to lead projects, communicate effectively, and be a self-starter.
- You can communicate technical material to a range of audiences and to ‘tell a story’ that provides insight into the business
- You embrace tackling complex problems with a high degree of ambiguity.
- Travel 10-20% of the time mainly to Hoboken, NJ (Jet.com) and Bentonville, AR (Walmart, Inc.)
- MBA or Master’s Degree in Mathematics, Statistics or a related technical field
- Background in Digital Marketing Analytics, Retail and/or eCommerce
- Experience with A/B and Multivariate test design and implementation
- Retail and/or eCommerce industry experience in a heavily data-driven environment preferred
- Working knowledge of Digital Marketing Channels (at least CPC Paid Search and Programmatic Display). Preference will be given to candidates with experience optimizing paid media channels through advanced Marketing and Advertising Technology (i.e. Marin, Kenshoo, Google DoubleClick & Adwords, etc.)
- Experience using an enterprise-level digital analytics platforms (e.g. Adobe Analytics, Google Analytics, etc.)
- Preference will be given to candidates with a working understanding of attribution and the differences between rules-based last click attribution versus algorithmic multi-touch attribution. Additionally, experience with Media Mix Modeling is a plus
- You have a passion for working in a fast-paced agile environment
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Bachelor's degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, Statistics, or related field and 4 years' experience in data analytics or related field OR 6 years'
experience in data analytics or related field.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Certificate in business analytics, data mining, or statistical analysis, Statistical programming languages (for example, SAS, R)
Masters: Business Administration, Masters: Information Systems, Masters: Statistics
850 Cherry Avenue, San Bruno, CA 94066-3031, United States of America