USC seeks to recruit a Senior Scientist that specializes in working with cryo-transmission electron microscopes (cryoEM) for high resolution data collection of biological specimens by single-particle analysis (SPA) and tomography. The Senior Scientist will work with two new cryoEM instruments designed and manufactured by Thermo Fisher Scientific (i.e., Glacios and Krios) and operated in partnership with Amgen, which are housed at the Core Center of Excellence in Nano Imaging (CNI) at the Michelson Center for Convergent Bioscience at USC’s University Park Campus. The Senior Scientist will be responsible for oversight and maintenance of these microscopes, acquiring and processing data, and training and assisting users. They will also support the structural biology group from Amgen.
- Participate in the maintenance of the Glacios and Krios microscopes. This duty requires interfacing with Thermo Fisher Scientific engineers to ensure optimal performance of the microscopes, and with USC Information Technology Services to ensure proper data management workflow.
- Oversee instrument operations – develop practices and protocols to ensure that instruments and auxiliary accessories are maintained and function properly, capabilities are utilized safely and correctly, and training is performed properly and efficiently. Develop and implement cryoEM educational and training programs to improve use of facility.
- Interface with users for training and data collection in both single particle analysis, electron diffraction, and cryo electron tomography. Assist/train users in advanced EM techniques and experiments. Develop protocols for performing advanced EM techniques, including training procedures and licensed user tests.
- Load samples, tune microscopes, and acquire and process data for samples submitted to the center.
- Collaborate with principal investigators and other researchers (USC or third-party) to plan, design, and conduct highly technical and complex research projects.
- Evaluate quality of data obtained by users and provide advice on strategies to improve data quality. Implement data collection strategies that will benefit our user community. Assist with data interpretation.
- Supervise (either formally or informally) research assistants as needed, including oversight and direction on techniques. Serve as a technical resource for other research staff.
- Demonstrate excellent technical writing and presentation skills.
- Maintain accurate logs for microscope performance, usage, and billing.
- Stay abreast of new developments in instrumentation, techniques, and methods.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Related Graduate Study (life sciences, such as but not limited to biology, chemistry, biochemistry, or comparable technical experience). Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education.
- 5 years of related experience.
- Directly related education and experience in research specialization with advanced knowledge of equipment, procedures and analysis methods and ability to supervise on a regular or project basis.
- Ph.D. in the life sciences with 7 years of relevant work experience.
- Accustomed to directing and managing multiple research projects and tools across diverse disciplines.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Best practice knowledge of computational image processing and analysis of cryoEM images.
- General understanding of SPA cryo-EM workflow; experience in cryo-electron tomography is a plus.
- Directly related education and hands-on experience in cryoEM with advanced knowledge of equipment, procedures, analysis methods, principles, theories, and concepts.
- Please upload a cover letter and CV/Resume to your application. An application will not be considered complete without these attachments.