Iowa City, Iowa Jobs
Community and Social Service Specialists, All Other Jobs
The University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics is seeking a Social Work Specialist I - Dialysis (80 - 90) for the Care Coordination Division. This position will provide leadership and advanced social work practice skills in areas of social casework, program development, teaching and training, research and public education. Collaborate with a variety of health care professionals to develop approaches to affect treatment options and assist in the coordination of social work activities related to facilitating movement of patients and families through the continuum of care. Contributes to the social work profession, building on social work education and experience to enhance department initiatives and patient experience.
Team Lead role supports the functions of the work team by serving as a mentor and primary resource for social workers in the SPFS Department by facilitating the use of team building skills and collaboration among team members. This individual is responsible for daily operational practices, advocacy and education related to social work practice and professional development. This position reports directly to SPFS manager for professional practice, indirectly to the Directors the Care Coordination Division. This role is held concurrently with a clinical practice within the SPFS Department.
Responsibility: Demonstrates initiative in problem solving and program development and/or identifies, conducts and documents research and special projects
* Originates new ideas and initiates problem solving and program development.
* Develops services that improve patient care and benefit the clinical service, the department, and/or the hospital.
* Serves as an agent of planned change.
* Consciously uses self and professional skills to achieve goals.
* Provides leadership in interdisciplinary problem solving.
* Demonstrates persistence.
* Represents the interests of the University, hospital and/or departmental leadership in the use of resources to meet service and productivity demands within departmental goals and budgets; strives to promote continual process and quality improvement.
* Participates in grant proposals and other funding initiatives aimed at furthering patient treatment options and or program resources
* Identifies opportunities for practice research and special projects.
* Develops and submits research/project proposals in accordance with policies and procedures.
* Conducts research/projects in accordance with policies and procedures.
* Documents research/project outcome in accordance with policies and procedures.
Responsibility: Provides informal and formal leadership
* Chairs departmental committees and task forces.
* Serves on inter-departmental and hospital committees and work groups.
* Serves on or chairs community groups and agency boards
* Builds relationships with both internal and external stakeholders to improve patient experience and access to resources
* Participates in professional groups and welcomes the richness of talent from a diverse workforce and recognizes that diversity brings stimulation, challenge, and energy that contribute to a productive and effective workplace.
* Is available for consultation and case finding or to develop approaches to treatment and care which are appropriate for patient and their families
Responsibility: Demonstrates knowledge of practice areas.
* Demonstrates conceptual and technical knowledge.
* Demonstrates ability to apply theoretical knowledge.
* Completes further education related to job/assignment.
* Continues to build relationships with patients and families in order to develop and implement plan of care, using clinical impressions to address treatment adherence and access to care concerns
* Acts as a resource for navigating financial resources, including insurance coverage options, changes related to the federal and state health programs and the disability process.
Responsibility: Demonstrates ability to develop the social work role.
* Works with team members toward department and/or hospital objectives.
* Promotes teamwork and serves as team builder.
* Functions pro-actively and effectively collaborates with other disciplines.
* Demonstrates respect for all members of the University community in the course of performing ones duties and in response to administrators, supervisors, coworkers, and customers.
Responsibility: Contributes to social work practice.
* Serves as resource for others for complex discharges including identifying resources
* Serves as a practicum instructor for social work students or acts as a job shadow guide for short term placements.
* Serves as a mentor for new staff, teaching core and advanced competencies and/or evaluating new staff.
* Provides education on social work skills, including diagnostic and treatment, and provides information on specialized areas of practice.
* Evaluates own professional practice and improves care based on results.
* Seeks opportunities to enhance own professional knowledge, skills, and abilities as they relate to current position and/or to prepare for potential future roles and overall career development.
ADDENDUM - Additional Responsibilities and Standards for specialty areas
Behavioral Health and Partial Hospitalization
Responsibility: Understands and applies recovery principles to all aspects of care
* Includes identification of unique needs, strengths and assets in patient assessments
* Includes individualized treatment plans: goals that reflect patient/family participation, strategies to support/build patient strengths, assets and goals, strategies that will help patient and all staff minimize the use of coercive interventions.
* Involves family/support system in care to the extent possible by: encouraging visitation, allowing participation in assessment, treatment planning, education and discharge planning, communicating an understanding of the impact of mental illness on families, therapeutic approaches to explore and possibly reduce patient reluctance to involve family/support system
* Characterizes interactions with others in all work settings by: respectful, person-centered language, recovery-enhancing relationships with patients, conversations that communicate an understanding of the impact of stigma, discrimination and social isolation, and attempts to reduce it.
Responsibility: Serves as a first-line resource for day to day clinical and operational questions and/or consultation for work team members.
* Collaborates with Care Coordination Managers to assist peers managing complex cases and provides updated information to the Case Escalation review team.
* Provide leadership and positive guidance in working with other disciplines to decrease LOS and assure positive throughput, discharge planning, and patient satisfaction.
* Assist identifying opportunities to improve efficiencies and link the inpatient/outpatient workflow and serves as a role model for positive acceptance of changes.
Responsibility: Support team members, while managing the work systems and processes on their units to insure that the needs of patients are met and fosters a respectful team working environment.
* Serve as an immediate resource to prioritize and adapt during emergencies.
Responsibility: Works with division and hospital leadership, physicians, clinic/unit nurse managers and staff to educate, promote, utilize, and optimize social workers at the highest level of practice, in a team model of care.
* Participates in clinically relevant activities and attend meetings and other conferences to enhance clinical and professional expertise.
Responsibility: Coordinates staffing for unplanned absences and supports social work manager in development and implementation of work team back up chart.
* Assist social work manager with triaging requests for PRN assistance/coverage and utilization of staffing resources
Responsibility: Promotes program development of social work education and assists with growth of staff in areas of leadership, clinical excellence, patient centered care, education, research, and organizational involvement to meet the identified goals and needs of the employee and organization
* Assist social work manager in setting agenda and facilitating monthly work team meetings.
* Assist in program development and staff education to improve patient care and answer questions regarding protocols and policies.
Responsibility: Provide leadership representing the work team as part of the Care Coordination Division Executive Committee and other routine committee meetings.
* Shares information with work team members to enhance social work practice
* Masters degree with a major concentration in social work
* 3-5 years of specialized social work experience
* A license to practice social work in Iowa, LISW strongly preferred
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Additional graduate education and/or continuing education related to advanced social work practice and skills
* Certification by the Academy of Certified Social Workers, ACM (Accredited Case Manager), CCM (Certified Case Manager), or other specialized certification for social workers related to the role
* Demonstrated leadership skills including critical thinking, independent decision-making, time management program development activities and contribution to practice are highly desirable
* Ability to coordinate complex planning efforts involving multiple disciplines, departments and community resources
* Experience working with all ages of patients and their families, providing counseling, crisis intervention as well as experience with palliative care, hospice and end of life.
* Solid understanding of community resources available for a variety of medical and psychiatric conditions including knowledge and experience with levels of care, federal and state regulations and financial resources for post-acute hospitalization is highly desirable
Competencies (Not Required)
List technical competencies here. You can find instructions for viewing technical competencies at: https://hr.uiowa.edu/competencies/viewing
In order to be considered for an interview, applicants must upload the following documents and mark them as a Relevant File to the submission:
* Cover Letter
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days and may be removed from posting and filled any time after the original posting period has ended.
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check and credential/education verification. Up to 5 professional references will be requested at a later step in the recruitment process.
For additional questions, please contact *****/p>Additional Information
Job ID: 5766154020198492633
Iowa City, Iowa, 52240