At the direction of the Marking Unit Supervisor, is generally responsible for all activities related tomarking, ALMA updating and barcoding of materials received from the Cataloging and Serials units. Revises and distributes materials to be added to the library s collection.
- Processes materials in the Marking Unit: This includes stamping UCSB Library ownership, applying detection strips, producing labels using the label-maker and/or typing and affixing labels, inserting circulation slips, tipping in errata slips, gluing in gift plates, relabeling old or incorrect labels and replacing broken VHS, DVD and CD/CD-ROM cases. Prioritizing rushed reserve materials.
- Barcoding any materials needing barcode strips and using ALMA for updating the items.
- Familiarizing with and identifying the call numbers for the purpose of sorting and determining where the processed materials go for delivery.
- Making deliveries to specific areas throughout the library after double-checking processed materials in the Marking unit (i.e., to Main stacks, Ethnic & Gender Studies (EGS), Curriculum Resources, Media collection, Govt. Pub., Map & Imagery Lab(MIL), Art & Architecture collection).
- Records statistical account of daily work.
- Using up-to-date lists given by supervisor, searches materials in stacks for specific materials.
- Helps out with minimal duties for the Conservation/Serials unit.
- Maintains a clean and orderly work station.
- Self-motivated, self-disciplined, and able to work independently on routine tasks with minimal supervision.
- Accurate and able to remain focused and attentive to detailed assignments for lengthy periods of time.
- Familiarity with the basic use of computers and programs.
- Maintain regular and punctual attendance.
- Excellent communication skills/interactions with supervisor and colleagues.
- Respectful of coworkers and others throughout the work areas.
- Work Study Eligibility