JOB TITLE: Surgical Technologist or LPN
SUPERVISION RECEIVED:Physician and/or Registered Nurse
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Surgical technologists, also called scrubs and surgical or operating room technicians, assist in surgical operations under the supervision of surgeons, registered nurses, or other surgical personnel. Surgical technologists are members of operating room teams, which most commonly include surgeons, anesthesiologists, and circulating nurses.
- Must be certified to perform CPR with 0-2 years of clinical experience in a related field.
- Prepares and maintains medical equipment for surgical procedures.
- Before an operation, surgical technologists help prepare the operating room by setting up surgical instruments and equipment, sterile drapes, and sterile solutions.
- Follows regulations and industry procedures to tend to patient during pre-operation procedures.
- Performs pre-operation preparations to the patients skin, body and medical equipment.
- Assemble both sterile and non-sterile equipment, as well as adjust and check it to ensure it is working properly.
- Transport patients to the operating room, help position them on the operating table, and cover them with sterile surgical drapes.
- Observe patients vital signs, check charts, and assist the surgical team with putting on sterile gowns and gloves.
- Pass instruments and other sterile supplies to surgeons and surgeon assistants.
- Hold retractors, cut sutures, and help count sponges, needles, supplies, and instruments. Help prepare, care for, and dispose of specimens taken for laboratory analysis and help apply dressings.
- Operate sterilizers, lights, or suction machines, and help operate diagnostic equipment.
- After an operation, help transfer patients to the recovery room and clean and restock the operating room.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires standing for long periods of time and remaining alert during operations.
- Surgical technologists work in clean, well-lighted, cool environments.
- At times may be exposed to communicable diseases and unpleasant sights, odors, and materials.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients in the center.
- Must demonstrate the knowledge of the principle of growth and development of the life span and the posses the ability to assess data reflective of the patients requirements relative to his/her age specific needs and to provide the care needed as described in the centers policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills in the surgical process.
- Demonstrates the ability to utilize recognized channels of communication.
- Demonstrates the ability to maintain good interpersonal relationships with patients, co-workers, and other health team members.
This description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for meeting job requirements.Responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions may change as needs evolve.