- To provide assistance and authoritative information regarding complex issues concerning state tax laws to taxpayers and their representatives by telephone, correspondence, email or in person; to interview taxpayers and their representatives in order to determine the nature of their tax problems and to advise as to the best solution to those problems.
- To interview taxpayers and their representatives in order to determine the nature of their tax problems and to advise as to the best solution to those problems.
- As assigned, to serve as a lead worker in the performance of a variety of paraprofessional and complex clerical support functions within the scope of a large section in the Division of Taxation, including the review and adjustment of forms and records, data retrieval, posting payments resulting from billings, notices and levies, etc., and posting and reconciliation of accounts.
- To provide technical assistance to taxpayers in all areas of Rhode Island taxes in person, by telephone, or by correspondence to taxpayers and/or their representatives.
- To handle telephone, email, and in-person requests for information, or assistance, from the public and other state agencies.
- To assist with the review and inquiries on various applications and updating taxpayer records.
- To perform a variety of tasks in a large section, such as processing approved penalty waivers, updating interest figures on liabilities, following up to employees on proper disposition of wages subject to levy, and preparing statistical data for receipt, accounts receivable or section reports.
- To advise taxpayers concerning their rights to file claims and to assist taxpayers in the effective preparation of such claims.
- To explain the requirements for and to assist taxpayers in preparing applications for extensions of time to file various tax returns.
- To assist taxpayers in answering requests from tax officials for information, particularly when such requests for information or clarification are made in order to perfect unprocessable returns.
- When taxpayer service workload permits, to perform duties in such areas as collections or audits which are commensurate with the duties above.
- To review tax forms (e.g. levy request, permit applications) for completeness and accuracy of preparation.
- To perform various tax functions on an integrated tax system including but not limited to processing payments, creating coupons, unsuspending tax returns, generating correspondence and processing and attaching documents to taxpayer accounts.
- To perform various duties for tax administration using databases, spreadsheets and word processing software.
- To do related work as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Education: Possession of an Associate’s degree, including or supplemented by courses in business, finances, accounting or taxes; andExperience: Employment in a responsible position involving the review of tax forms/records and interaction with the public.Or, any combination of education and experience that shall be substantially equivalent to the above education and experience.