Title:Trainer and Simulation Systems Operator/Instructor
The Trainer and Simulation Systems Operator/Instructor position is located in Newport, Rhode Island at the Surface Warfare Schools Command (SWSC). The command is responsible for providing a continuum of professional education and training that prepares officers, enlisted engineers, quartermasters and boatswains mates to serve at sea.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Operating a wide range of computer-based training and simulation devices during theoretical application events developing skills, knowledge, and abilities for mid-level and senior level naval officers.
- The incumbent will be trained in all system startup and shutdown procedures, how to develop and operate computer-based training system scenarios to meet the training requirements.
- Coordinate, write, and conduct situational briefs for student training events.
- Write training system deficiency reports and recommended solutions to correct or improve the hardware or software of a training system.
- Assist in new technology testing and technical reviews to determine applicability and usefulness for specific courses of instruction.
- Assist with writing point papers and technical descriptions of current training systems and requirements for new training systems.
- Assist with developing and managing training system programs.
- An Associates degree in software design or computer science with an emphasis on gaming design is highly desirable or equivalent work experience.
- Three or more years at sea experience as a watch stander in a combatant Combat Information Center or Navigation Bridge, participating in various maritime warfare scenarios.
- Qualification as a Fire Control Officer, Combat Information Center Watch Officer or Supervisor, Surface Weapons Coordinator, Tactical Action Officer, Air Warfare Coordinator, Surface Warfare Coordinator, Undersea Warfare Coordinator, Surface Warfare Evaluator, Anti-Submarine Warfare Evaluator, Shipping Officer, Piloting Officer, Officer of the Deck, Quartermaster of the Watch, or Navigator is highly desired.
- Specific knowledge of modeling and simulation, information systems and training systems technologies as they pertain to simulation and stimulation of individual trainers is necessary. Training systems range from minor, low complexity devices to highly sophisticated, extremely complex multi-team training systems.
- Prior qualifications as a member of Combat Systems Training Team or Seamanship Training Team on a combatant is evidence of the requisite experience/knowledge base that is required for successful performance of the duties of the position.
- Broad knowledge of software development practices for computer-based training systems. Broad knowledge and interest in gaming technologies is highly desired.
- Broad knowledge in the design/development and integration techniques in the areas of computer architecture, digital, analog, power and control circuitry, and microprocessor technology, including software development and firmware programming for assigned training systems.
- The operation of trainers/simulators through the use of computer consoles also requires that the incumbent have a fundamental knowledge maritime warfare tactics sufficient to portray friendly and opposition force strategies, tactics, and employment, as instructed by subject matter instructors.
- Brief students, either individually or as a class, on the scope, operation, and performance of training devices.
- Must have an active secret level security clearance.
In compliance with the U.S. federal governments vaccine mandate, only candidates who are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or have a reasonable accommodation or approved medical exception will be considered for this position.
KBR is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, union status and/or beliefs, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.