What you'll do...
If you could spend 100% of your time painting the future of commerce on a canvas that will touch over one billion consumers, and had the strength of the #1 Fortune 500 Company behind you, what would it look like?
By bringing together retail, online, mobile, and social with our 11,000+ stores and clubs around the world, Walmart is creating a seamless experience for customers and members to shop the way that is most convenient for them—anytime and anywhere. When you combine our unmatched assets in retail with our commitment to building best-in-class commerce capabilities, we are positioned to serve customers in ways no one else can.
You will oversee everything from understanding the data we have, the data we should be looking for, how we should store it and how we should be looking at it. As part of your role, you will lead the way to free our data and have it open for all your customers. You will use a lot of knowledge, model building, “magic,” and experimentation. You will need customer focus, obsession on great execution, and a data-driven approach to optimize all parts of the data journey.
What you'll do...
The Distinguished Data Architect role is a critical position focused on becoming a trusted partner and delivering value through data for our customers. You will use your skills to understand our customers’ businesses and provide data solutions that help solve their challenges. As a Distinguished Data Architect, you will ensure our customers’ data needs and pain points are addressed by providing outstanding service, assistance and knowledge of the Data Strategy & Insight team’s capabilities.
You will solve customer issues with data solutions that positively impact their business by building highly engaged relationships, crafting solutions that solve critical priorities, ensuring our offerings are understood and driving value, serving as a “first line of defense” for data-related topics and by collaborating with our other tech and engineering teams to resolve customer obstacles.
You’ll sweep us off our feet if you have…
- Requirements gathering with business stakeholders, domain: agile teamwork, people data, hierarchies of project portfolio work
- Ability to write requirements for ETL and BI developers
- Ability to write designs for data architecture of data warehouse or data lake solutions or end to end data pipelines
- Expert in data architecture principles, distributed computing knowhow
- Intake prioritization, cost/benefit analysis, decision making of what to pursue across a wide base of users/stakeholders and across products, databases and services,
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent with at least 10 years of experience,
- At least >7 years of experience in architecture for commercial scale data pipelines
Bonus points if you have…
- Certified Cloud Solutions architect with hands-on working experience is a plus. It could be AWS/Azure/GCP
- Knowledge of tools like Airflow, Automic, Visualization tools like Power BI, Looker, tableau and languages like Spark, Scala, Python, Java are preferred.
You’ll make an impact by:
- End to end data pipeline design, security review, architecture and deployment overview
- Undertake cloud deployment responsibilities
- Automate reporting views used by management and executives to decide where to invest the organization’s time and resources, and stay up to date on key company initiatives and products as well as technological advancements in the industry
- Problem Formulation: Analyze the business problem within one's discipline and question assumptions to help the business identify the root cause. Set Big Data analytics, automation goals, and deliverables
based on the established success criteria and define key metrics to measure progress and effectiveness of the solution. Quantify the business impact.
- Data Source Identification: Define data requirements for various model types along with data quality guidelines and align with data governance.
- Data Strategy: Develops and executes technical software development strategy using current business roadmap by analyzing competitive industry trends, technology landscape, and plans next gen data strategy to complex business problems.
- Applied Business Acumen: Influence business stakeholders. Translate business requirements into strategies and initiatives and drive the execution
of deliverables. Challenge
business assumptions on topics related to one's domain expertise.
- Tech branding: Proactively engage in the external community to build Walmart's brand and learn more about industry practices.
- Data Architecture: Design, implement, and improve processes in data management. Mentor, coach and provides architectural guidance to multiple teams building innovative applications. Evaluate and apply data warehousing best practices.
- Culture champion: Standardize and build a fact based metric driven engineering culture across the engineering organization. Help hire, upskill and mentor a strong team of architects and engineers. Cultivates an environment where associates respect and adhere to company standards of integrity and ethics. Pro-actively act as Walmart’s engineering tech brand ambassador
- Data Modeling: Influences the overarching data strategy and vision for data pipelines and data products. Oversees and governs the expansion of existing data architecture and the optimization of data query performance via best practices. Presents and socializes data models to business and information technology stakeholders.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
As permitted by applicable law, provide evidence of full vaccination as defined by CDC guidelines OR secure approval of medical or religious accommodation for the vaccination mandate., Option 1: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 6 years' experience in data engineering, solution architecture, business
intelligence, business analytics or related field. Option 2: 8 years' experience in data engineering, solution architecture, business intelligence,
business analytics or related field. Option 3: Master's degree in Computer Science and 4 years' experience in data engineering, solution
architecture, business intelligence, business analytics or related field.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Data architecture/software architecture/data modeling, Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 6 years' experience in software engineering, Relevant industry experience (for example, retail, supply chain, eCommerce, healthcare, etc.), Solution Architecture
640 W California Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA 94086-4828, United States of America