What you'll do...
Senior Director II, Software Engineering, In Store Platforms
The In Store team builds services and applications to provide Walmart customers with experiences throughout Walmart stores. We are constantly looking for ways to improve the experience for our customers through innovation at scale. We are seeking a Senior Director, Software Engineering to lead the evolution of the in store platform that not only is the foundation for the customer experience, but seeks to accelerate how our developers can continue to innovate faster.
This role will drive Walmart’s technology vision, strategy, and roadmap in one or multiple domains and help our teams achieve Engineering and Operational excellence. If you enjoy working in a rapidly changing environment and influencing the strategic direction of a large global organization, this position will provide you with a challenging opportunity.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop and execute software development strategy for Store applications and systems by analyzing competitive trends and patterns, the technology landscape
- Drives continuous process improvement and innovation by identifying inefficiencies in current processes; improving the agility of the team; and adopting industry best practices for innovation.
- Ensure product quality by developing and executing quality assurance plan; using data and experience to determine customer needs; directing continuous improvement and eliminating non-value-added work; measuring milestones for quality; and developing mitigation plans to ensure quality.
- Executes engineering projects by developing resource planning for business roadmaps in advance; removing barriers to success; ensuring others have the information, training, resources, and implementation time needed to succeed; developing and upgrading work assignments and processes to accomplish goals across functions, organizations, and geographies; reviewing project progress against timeline; and developing and communicating logical, convincing justifications, including lessons learned, to build commitment and support.
- Provides overall direction by analyzing business objectives and customer needs; developing, communicating, building support for, and implementing business strategies, plans, and practices; analyzing costs and forecasts and incorporating them into business plans; determining and supporting resource requirements; evaluating operational processes; measuring outcomes to ensure desired results; identifying and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; promoting a customer environment; and demonstrating adaptability and sponsoring continuous learning.
- Develops and implements strategies to attract and maintain a highly skilled and engaged workforce by diagnosing capability gaps; recruiting, selecting, and developing talent; supporting mentorship, workforce development, and succession planning; and leveraging the capabilities of new and existing talent.
- Cultivates an environment where associates respect and adhere to company standards of integrity and ethics by integrating these values into all programs and practices; developing consequences for violations or non-compliance; and supporting the Open Door Policy.
- Develops and leverages internal and external partnerships and networks to maximize the achievement of business goals by sponsoring and leading key community outreach and involvement initiatives; engaging key stakeholders in the development, execution, and evaluation of appropriate business plans and initiatives; and supporting associate efforts in these areas.
- Judgment: Make Sound Judgments - Uses objective financial and business analyses to evaluate the returns and risks of business choices. Analyzes and integrates trends and patterns to determine the root causes of problems and identify solutions. Evaluates short- and long-term implications of decisions. Accurately forecasts growth, costs, and business challenges.
- Customer/Member Centered: Promote a Customer/Member-Focused Environment - Creates and maintains an environment that provides customers/members with desired products, services, and experiences. Combines experience, insight, and data to determine how to best exceed customer/member needs. Develops and implements initiatives, practices, and plans to capitalize on customer/member-focused growth and improvement opportunities. Ensures the removal of barriers to delivering exceptional customer/member value, service, and support.
- Execution and Results: Optimize Execution and Results - Uses the advantage of company size, internal and external resources, and talent to achieve success. Creates an environment where associates are held accountable for achieving goals and results. Applies broad, cross-functional knowledge and resources to produce results that best fit the company strategy. Prioritizes and balances time, actions, resources, and initiatives to ensure the accomplishment of critical results. Makes sure desired change initiatives and priorities are implemented appropriately.
- Planning and Improvement: Advocate Planning and Continuous Improvement - Sets and communicates clear and aligned goals, monitors progress, and ensures leaders in their organization do the same. Develops and implements plans and practices to ensure others have the information, resources, implementation time, and talent needed to succeed. Develops and upgrades work assignments and processes to accomplish goals across functions, organizations, and geographies, where appropriate. Sponsors continuous improvement and elimination of non-value-added work. Embraces, values, and implements diverse perspectives and ideas.
- Influence and Communicate: Inspire Commitment - Develops and communicates logical, convincing justifications, including lessons learned, that build commitment and support for one's perspectives and initiatives. Builds diverse, high-performing teams that accomplish organizational changes, goals, and priorities. Ensures strategies, change initiatives, and competitive information is communicated in clear and compelling ways. Listens to, leverages, and promotes the diverse ideas, perspectives, and contributions of others across the business.
- Ethics and Compliance: Promote Ethics and Compliance - Builds and sustains an environment where adherence to and reinforcement of the highest standards of integrity and ethics are the norms. Identifies opportunities and takes action to enhance compliance. Ensures associates receive the communication and instruction needed to act in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Adaptability: Demonstrate Adaptability - Demonstrates resourcefulness and resilience in the face of change, obstacles, and adversity. Adapts to competing demands and shifting priorities. Updates knowledge and skills to handle new complexities, challenges, and responsibilities (for example, seeking out training, learning from experience, researching best practices). Seeks exposure to new ideas and perspectives. Sponsors programs and initiatives to improve adaptability and continuous learning capabilities in own organization.
- Strategy: Think and Act Strategically - Creates strategies for own organization that align with the company's strategies and lead to the achievement of business priorities. Pursues initiatives, investments, and opportunities that fit with and support company strategies. Assesses deliverables against leading industry practices and implements plans that leverage company advantages. Works through different strategic options and determines their intended and unintended implications, and applies to business planning.
- Social Responsibility and Reputation: Promote Reputation and Social Responsibility - Proactively leads volunteer activities, programs, and initiatives to improve the community. Seeks and maintains external relationships and alliances, strengthening the company's impact on and reputation in the community. Serves as a credible spokesperson, representative, and sponsor of the company to the public and the community.
- Talent: Assess and Improve Talent - Develops talent and replacement plans for own organization that increases effectiveness, build diversity, and enhance bench strength. Identifies, utilizes, and integrates associates' strengths to produce improved results. Creates an environment where people process (for example, performance management, development) are used effectively to improve associate performance and achieve desired results throughout their organization. Mentors, guides, and sponsors the development of key talent.
- Build Relationships: Build Internal and External Relationships - Builds and sustains trusting, collaborative relationships and alliances across functional, organizational, and geographical boundaries to achieve goals. Sponsors initiatives and programs that promote respect for, interest in, and support of associates. Ensures associates are treated in an accepting, respectful manner.
Live our Values
• Models the Walmart values to foster our culture; holds oneself and others accountable; and supports Walmart’s commitment to communities, social justice, corporate social responsibility, and sustainability; maintains and promotes the highest standards of integrity, ethics and compliance.
• Acts as an altruistic servant leader and is consistently humble, self-aware, honest, and transparent
Curiosity & Courage
• Demonstrates curiosity and a growth mindset; fosters an environment that supports learning, innovation, and intelligent risk-taking; and exhibits resilience in the face of setbacks.
Digital Transformation & Change
• Drives continuous improvements, supervises the adoption of new technology, and supports digital disruption in line with Walmart’s business model.
Deliver for the Customer
• Delivers expected business results while putting the customer first and consistently applying an omni-merchant mindset and the EDLP and EDLC business models to all plans and initiatives.
• Adopts a holistic perspective that considers data, analytics, customer insights, and different parts of the business when making plans and implementing strategies.
Focus on our Associates
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
• Supports strategies and drives initiatives that attract and retain diverse and inclusive talent; builds high-performing teams; embraces diversity in all its forms; and actively supports diversity goal programs.
Collaboration & Influence
• Builds strong and trusting relationships with team members and business partners; works collaboratively and cross-functionally to achieve objectives; and communicates with energy and positivity to motivate, influence, and inspire commitment and action.
• Creates a discipline and focus around developing talent, builds the talent pipeline, fosters an environment allowing everyone to bring their best selves to work, empowers associates and partners to act in the best interest of the customer and company, and regularly recognizes others’ contributions and accomplishments.
You’ll sweep us off our feet if…
- Have years of engineering leadership and architecture experiences leading large teams and initiatives
- Technology Focus Area : CI/CD, Automation, Container Orchestration, Private and Public Clouds (Azure, GCP), Networking, AI/ML, Data/Analytics, Domain Driven Micro-Services, Event driven technology, etc.
- Are well versed in architecture disciplines and designed high performance, large scalable, and resilient enterprise systems
- Evaluated, assessed and recommended enterprise-wide cutting edge technology components
- Expertise in building strategy, bringing stakeholder alignment, program management & resource management
- Are a passionate technologist and abreast with industry trends and innovation
- Hired, trained and mentored Directors and Sr. Managers
- Can lead to influence, inspire, and impact
You’ll make an impact by:
- Providing thought leadership and defining technology strategies
- Being an admired subject matter expert in one or multiple technology areas
- Directing and reviewing architectural artifacts (for example, proof of concepts, prototypes, architectural design) and providing valuable recommendations for improvements
- Advising or conducting POCs to vet out new technologies
- Driving for Architecture, Engineering, and Technology excellence
- Big-picture and strategic thinking
- Prioritizing, focusing, and delivering tangible results
- Delivering with agility, urgency, and quality
- Building trust and credibility quickly with Sr. Leadership and stakeholders
- Being a self-starter, with a positive and Can-Do Spirit
- Being bold and taking calculated risks
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Benefits & Perks
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Who We Are
Join Walmart and your work could help over 275 million global customers live better every week. Yes, we are the Fortune #1 company. But you’ll quickly find we’re a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Walmart is where the world’s most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us and you'll discover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you’ll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That’s what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We’re a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world’s largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption.
Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Today, we are reimagining the tech workplace of the future by making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We’ll collaborate in person at a regular cadence and with purpose.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
As permitted by applicable law, provide evidence of full vaccination as defined by CDC guidelines OR secure approval of medical or religious accommodation for the vaccination mandate., Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and 8 years’ experience in software engineering or related field OR 10 years’ experience in software engineering or related field.
5 years’ supervisory experience.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 7 years' experience in software engineering
13201 RANCH ROAD 620 N, AUSTIN, TX 78717-1011, United States of America