- Supervises staff in the delivery of programming and information services to children and families in the Youth Services Division at the Main Library
- Is performed independently under general supervision
Oversees the delivery of reference and reader’s advisory services to children and families. Ensures professional and support staff is providing appropriate customer service. Interprets and explains policy and procedures to employees and customers. Resolves customer complaints or refers to appropriate personnel. (20%)
Performs duties of a professional librarian. Provides reference and reader’s advisory services to children and families. (20%)
Supervisory Responsibilities: Employees in this position are authorized to recommend and/or effect the full range of duties (with appropriate managerial review), including hiring, performance evaluations, transferring, promoting, assigning of significant duties, rewarding, disciplining and terminating employment; exercise independent judgment to direct others work and have the authority to take corrective action; and, utilize people skills to communicate, motivate and direct or oversee a person, group, department, or organization. (40%)
Performs other duties as assigned. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time. Total Percentage = 100%Required Knowledge, Experience, And Training
- Master's of information and Library Science Degree from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited school
- Or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience
- Public library management, practices and procedures
- Library collection maintenance
- Children’s literature, child development, and programming
- Reader’s advisory and reference services for children and families
- Supervisory and management practices
- Public access catalogs, office software, basic accounting and budgeting processes
- Provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers
- Work effectively with children and families
- Use excellent communication and time management skills
- Supervise and motivate a professional and support staff
- Interpret and apply policies and procedures, evaluate situations and determine an appropriate course of action
- Display an attitude of cooperation and work harmoniously with all levels of City employees, and the public
- Communicate effectively in the English language at a level necessary for efficient job performance
- Complete assignments in a timely fashion; understand and comply with all rules, policies and regulations
- Maintain prompt and regular attendance, perform all essential and marginal functions as assigned by an authorized employee, supervisor and/or manager with or without reasonable accommodation
- 5 years of experience providing programming, reference and reader’s advisory services to children and families
- Experience supervising employees in a library setting
- Direct customer service experience in an urban library setting
Applicants must be able to pass:
- City of Boise background check processes including a criminal history check and reference checks in accordance with the City of Boise Hiring Process Regulation
- Drug-Free Workplace: In accordance with the City of Boise Drug-Free Workplace Regulation, this position is designated as safety-sensitive and is subject to testing requirements including Post Offer Applicant Testing, Random Testing, Reasonable Suspicion, Post-Accident, etc. Applicants will be required to submit to screening for illegal drug use prior to hiring. Appointment to this position is contingent upon a negative pre-employment drug test.
This position has responsibilities that require the person to work with minors or individuals with disabilities.The physical effort characteristics and working environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is always lifting/carrying up to 10 pounds, frequently lifting/carrying up to 20 pounds and rarely lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds. Also, the employee is always pushing/pulling up to 10 pounds, frequently pushing/pulling up to 20 pounds and rarely pushing/pulling up to 50 pounds. The noise level is occasionally moderate. Work includes the sensory ability to talk, hear and touch. Work in this position also includes close vision, distance vision and peripheral vision. Employees will sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach and grasp. Position requires hand/finger dexterity.
The work environment will include inside conditions, areas of dust, odors, mist, gases or other airborne matter. Work includes protected exposure to infectious bacteria.
This position works one weekend every 4-5 weeks or as needed, one evening shift a week.